Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MV Agusta Brutale S 2004 (750cc), short ride impression.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Marx, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Good:
    ·Styling & components look nice. Ie: swingarm, pinion pegs, front axle.
    ·Airbox induction noise.
    ·Very nice standard exhaust note. Rorty. Save a few dollars not going aftermarket.
    ·Revvy free spinning feel of the engine, like a 600cc supersport.
    ·Retively low final drive (14/41), ‘short’ (close ratios) gearbox matches engine.
    ·Very compact & kinda solid feel.
    ·Nice brakes, they bite compartitively well even for a new bike.
    ·All the little bits that would be plastic on a jap bike are alloy on this one.

Bad:
    ·Lack of steering lock, range of steering side to side (almost Ducati-sque, like the MV F4).
    ·Harsh suspension.
    ·Fuel injection at very low openings jerking, ie: idle to 2000rpm.
    ·Price $26k on road listed, maybe worked down to approx $23k ride away, maybe.
    ·Cost of servicing, ie: @ 18,000kms, major - $942.00.
    ·Insurance, category 5 or maybe even 6 (top?).
    ·Underseat storage small (it’s actually just under the pinion seat only).
    ·Tool kit looks funky but some of the allen keys didn’t fit the bolts ?? (tried to adjust ‘bars forward on the demo ride).
    ·Rev limiter seems to come in early on the tacho (11,000rpm I think) when it really feels like it wants to power on.
    ·Indicators & horn switchgear is arse backwards. (beep beep - I’m changing lanes)
    ·Fuel tank – 15litres. Approx 200kms to dry.

The axe (my ’97 Ducati 748 BiP) is getting into it’s senior years and I’m tossing about different options for an upgrade. I haven’t been doing very much proper riding & seem to spend a lot of time riding around the Melbourne town with stuff occy-strapped to the ducktail, so that heavy clutch pull, racer’s crouch & FairStar-the-fun-ship turning circle is always there to remind me that Tamburini did have this sort of stuff in mind when it was penciled.
    I’ve got a few options I’ve whittled it down to, none are really out & out sports bikes as nowadays I reckon it doesn’t take race track orphans to whoop it up in the twisties for a good time. Or maybe it’s just me & age setting in.

I’ve considered the MV Brutale on it’s looks, the fact that it’s Italian (sic) & kind of exclusive. Sure it costs more & I’ll proberly have some weird stories to tell owning one but I’ll take a look at it.
    The other bikes are the KTM Superduke 990 (not yet available), maybe the KTM Supermoto 950 (??) or the Kawasaki Z1000.
    The Z1000 is there are a default option. I know that it may not be the best in anything, but I reckon that with a set of cans, & maybe some other little personal mods, it’ll rock as hard as any other pony in the parade. I kinda like the looks of it, hate the dash, but without a demo ride I can’t much further comment until I do. It’s cheap by almost ½ of the other bikes I’m considering too, so a tasty list of mods would be on the drawing board.

The Brutale S 2004 I test rode was through Moto One in Oakleigh (Vic). Nice red one. I noticed they had heaps of bikes in the workshop, lots in for servicing, but not that many crashed bikes. It was mid January which would be a busy time of year as everyone is putting km’s on their bikes.
    This can be a good or bad thing. In high demand/sort after? Overworked/understaffed? Would you take your bike into a workshop with bikes to walls? The MotoOne guys have a pretty comprehencive workshop details posted on their website which adds confidence. http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/

2. Thanks Marx, and very good review and great reading.