Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Must hold licence before buying bike - True?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Gobbledegeek, Jan 25, 2007.

1. My local dealer told me that I must have my licence before I can buy a bike, is this correct?

2. that'd be news to me.

I went to vicroads to change address and they did that but also transfered my bike into partners name, who didn't have a licence.

Also wanted to charge me $$ to transfer ownership!!

:mad:

REV

3. no. at least it isnt in wa, i doubt it would differ in vic

4. :shock: Your local dealer is on crack.

5. I have a mate who has owned 2 bikes well at least reg in his name
    never had a licence for that he has never road a bike
    so your dealer is a w**ker

6. you might want to check with vic roads etc on that. I know when I bought my bike I had to give my permit number.

7. Ahh can the above thought, i remember the dealer saying i could buy the bike beforehand and they could take it to decca where i was going for permit so i could ride it home. also when I was 19 my first bike was delivered at home and it was 2 weeks b4 i got permit to ride.

8. Well I guess, coupled with the fact he was adamant that I couldn't test drive (even with the licence), I will be going to the other dealer!

Having said that, I asked about my wife sorting the finance and they went as far as to phone up the credit company and enquire using her details so he shot himself in the foot there (she doesn't have a licence). I might just go back and point this obvious contradiction out to him. Strange 'cos he was very pleasant otherwise and I was considering buying a new VTR.

9. https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=460510&highlight=#460510

10. G'day everyone,.......

Actualy you don't need a licence to buy!
    You only need a licence/permit to get it registered.

Hope that helps.

Dr Who?

11. Not to mention breaching every one of the privacy laws!

12.  Top
  13. Total and complete bullshit.

Utter, utter bullshit. I have no idea why they told you that :? because it's a complete load of shit.

Have I made this point clear? :LOL:

Edit: Also, which dealer was it? I bought a bike from Elliot Brothers (Bendigo's Honda/Kwacka dealer) in Sept 2005 and had no dramas. Rang before making the trip to find out if the bike was a good as it looked, got straight answers then rode up and test rode it without question or hassle. I found them to be terrific to deal with. :)

14. G'day everyone,......

I can't understand your accent!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dr Who?

15. Dried Glaze...I bought the virago and had it registered in my name, before I got my learners.

You don't need your learners to buy/register a motorbike.

Cheers and happy hunting...hopefully at another dealer. ;)

Rosie

16. It was indeed these guys who also claim that they they don't allow test drives. Hmm, must be me then.

17. I got my bike before I had my riders licence BUT i did already have a car licence .

Is there anyone here who got a vehicle registered in their name without holding any sort of licence ?

18. :shock: :LOL: Did you lose your medication again Seany :LOL: