Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Must have been doing something wrong???

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Bluesuede, May 15, 2007.

1. So I'm heading off on my bike this morning to take it in for a service. Bit of a light drizzle, roads a little slippery, I'm sitting in traffic in the lane behind a cage. Wasn't in any particular hurry so I didn't bother splitting to get up to the front.

So I'm sitting there and I see this bike coming up from behind, splitting between the lanes. As he gets closer I realise its a blue unmarked BMW police bike. Sure enough, he gets up beside me and stops. :eek:

Uh-oh - racking my brains to think of whether I'd done anything worthy of getting pulled over this morning. :shock:

So he looks at me and gestures to me, waving his hand up between the lane that I should be doing what he is and splitting up between the lanes, and takes off! :rofl:

Sorry officer, won't happen again. Shame on me for being so stupid as to sit in traffic when I could be moving!!! :LOL:
  2. :shock:

That's GOLD!

Pity is, the next copper will fine you, without fail.

That would have made my day though :LOL:
  3. Did you chase him down and get that is written form.

could come in handy in the future....

4. Hahaha...awesome!! Not sure whether QLD coppers would feel the same, I feel guilty whenever I do it for some reason. I am still waiting for the chance to have a quick chat with a bike cop to see whether it is fine...
  5. love it... thats brillient
  6. It's actually legal in qld and not in vic, tim, so gopher it!
  7. Umm you are allowed to filter as long as you do it on the right hand side of a vehicle and stay in your lane. So it is legal (if done within the limitations)
  8. You sure? Just going by what my Qride instructor has told me thats all.... I will get in contact with some coppers soon about it for sure.

9. Bravus wrote:
    It's legal everywhere, if done correctly......

In Queensland you can also pass to the left of a stationary vehicle....see below:

Rule 141 No overtaking etc. to the left of a vehicle

(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless—

(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or

(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U–turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or

(c) the vehicle is stationary and can be safely overtaken to the left of the vehicle.

Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
  10. hahaha
    Thats brilliant!

As said get his badge number for future reference!
  11. oh dear, here we go again...
  12. Ah, schweet. I'm clearly talking out my arse, but on the upside, being corrected means I now know I have more options in Qld. Lots and lots of scope for overtaking stationary vehicles on the left on the Ipswich Motorway. ;)