Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Music and CB

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Ralphie, Aug 17, 2006.

1. I am fitting a handheld (Uniden UH 040) UHF CB to my Vstar 1100 and would like to combine music from my MP3 player as well. I've seen the Autocom unit and heard of a couple of others but is there anything a bit cheaper that would do the job?? I've wired up my helmet myself with a five pin plug hanging out of it. Need to keep the price down to keep the cheese and kisses happy.

2. Mate I don't know about cheaper but I use and love the Starcom1 unit. Bought from www.soundrider.com.au

3. just wire it up in a box yourself, pretty easy.

If it isn't loud enough, add a small amp ( I didn't need it)

It was only when I added a mobile things started to get complecated....

As long run a serperate common (earth) for the mic..

IE: not shared with the common for/with the speakers and you will be fine...

4. Good UHF CB for bike-to-bike?

First, greetings from Israel. Hopefully this is the right place for this...

My bride-to-be and I are planning a 6-week honeymoon riding trip in WA starting late October, and will be renting two bikes. We thought being able to converse plus listen to music on the long road stretches would make the trip much more fun, so we recently got two Starcom1 units which we're happy with so far.

Locally we use them with handheld Euro-spec PMR446 radios (40-channel unlicensed radios, similar to the Australian UHF CB band, with the exception that PMR446 devices are limited to 0.5W transmit power), with decent results.

Now, the question is what we do about radios in Australia; formally PMR446 devices aren't licensed for use in Oz. It seems a pity to buy radios just for the trip we won't use afterwards (the Australian frequencies are illegal here).
    1) This may not be an issue as I've heard of Europeans using PMR446 in Oz with no issues, especially as we'll be traveling in sparsely-populated WA. On the other hand, we certainly don't want to cause interference or get noisy communications.
    Anyone here know what the situation is in practice?

2) If I don't find out any info on this ahead of time, we will buy Oz-spec radios just to be safe.
    In this case, it looks like of currently-available units, the Uniden UH-044 units are a popular choice to connect to Autocom/Starcom1/Baehr-type bike audio.
    What are people's experience with this unit?

Another option would seem to be the GME TX610.
    On the plus side, It would turn out much cheaper (by ~AU$200 for two units, after factoring in special interface cables we'd need for the Unidens), it's a bit smaller, and has CTCSS the Uniden doesn't.
    On the minus side, it's 1W max power vs. the Uniden's 2W, and uses AAA batteries rather than AAs so less battery life (I intend to use high-capacity NiMH rechargeables with a 2nd set being charged from a 12V-to-AA/AAA charger connected to the bike's battery while the first set is in use -- I expect to need to switch between sets once every 1-2 days with the GME, and 2-3 days with the Uniden).

Most importantly, however, Googling has turned up no mention of it for bike-to-bike use.

3) Anyone here have experience with the TX610 in a bike environment? What sort of reputation do they have re ruggedness, reliability and signal strength?

4) How significant is 1W vs. 2W transmit power for bike-to-bike use? We do expect to maintain visual contact when possible.

5) How important is CTCSS in Australia? The PMR devices are fairly useless without it here.

Thanks for any input...
    ~~~Wavelet[/url]

5. cb

Hi am in victoria we use up to 50 watts in our cars FM no one checks on want we do on cb bands. In australia out back we use SSB LSB .
    In city UHF fm 5 watt set units, 1@2 watt units about 3ks up to 5 max
    Tony