Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Multistrada 1200 vs R1200GS vs Super Tenere

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by DisgruntledDog, May 14, 2011.

1. I really don't need a new bike as the 1250 Bandit is just great. However, it doesn't stop me from lusting and thinking towards the end of the year I might upgrade.

Most of my riding is the commute to work and back plus the far too infrequent weekends away to the twisties.

My commute involves 2K of dirt road, a couple of sweepers then 30K of slabbing, then 15K of interesting bits through Wildwood, then peak hour freeway and then Flemmington Road to work and back again. 162K round trip.

So, I've been looking at the Adventure bike thing. I like an upright riding position as I'm too old to bent over like a banana on a crotch rocket. I'd like something that can cope with the dirt, deal with freeway speeds, at home in the twisties and is skinny enough to deal with peak hour traffic.

I had a look at the Tenere and it looks the real deal. My biggest problem is the weight. At 260KG it's 10kg heavier than the Bandit which is already on the porky side.

The BMW is probably the best true adventure bike out there but I don't really need the off-road capability all that much.

I stopped in to the Ducati dealer last week and had a look at the Multistrada. This beast really tickled my fancy. The adrenaline from a 150HP and 192KG would obviate the need for my morning coffee. Adjustable traction control, suspension and power at the touch of a button makes it quite a versatile bike.

My heart says the Duc but my head says it's expensive and it's Italian (reliability). My wallet says go the Tenere but the weight is an issue. My head says go the BMW but heart says but it's a BMW.

Such is my dilemma.

2. what about that new trumpy 800, tiger i think ?

3. +1 On the Tiger, either of them will handle a bit of rough road ok, also the Tiger 1050 if you want something a touch more road orientated...

4.  Top
  5. go the multi mate....... not bad off road and it freaking hoots in the twisties.

its a whole lot of money..... but its a whole lot of bike as well

OZ

6. I hate that notion that anything Italian has to be unreliable. Has never been my experience, if the mulitstrada suits have good look at it.

+1 to suggestion of the DD 1200 too

7. Lane slitting on the gs with the heads out the side always stopped me buying one (sold my r80 when I came to Sydney for same reason). Otherwise I would say get that.

8. One of the online mags (maybe MCN) just recently put the Tiger 800 againt the MTS1200, and seemed to think there wasn't much in it given the price difference. The Duc obviously bangs harder outright, but isn't getting the best fuel economy, and some fuelling issues have appeared in production bikes. A new ECU map appears to have fixed it, but at the expense of a little more thirst still.

I also wouldn't necessarily rate the 1050 Tiger as more road suitable than the 800, other than that it's larger, heavier, and plusher. More like both are good on road (with the 800 looking more nimble and refined, according to people who have ridden both), but the smaller 800 makes gains off-road more from being smaller and lighter than being any less road biased. The 19" front on the 800 helps a bit there, but also helps on less than smooth roads as well.

9. Thanks for the feedback.

The 1050 Tiger is just that little bit tall for me. I'm not sure if they can lower it or not.

I'll have a look at the dorsoduro 1200.

Do the heads stick out past the handle bars?

It would have to be quite a bike to be better than the Bandit. Does the dirt ok, great on the highway, not too shabby in the twisties and fantastic in the traffic. Just pick a gear any gear.

Also, don't know if the hooligan in me would like something with less power.

10. I would have thought that the gs would be as tall as the tiger recommend that you sit on these bikes. www.cycle-ergo.com might help.

Re lane splitting, I found that they are narrower than your bars but you forget about your pots as they are not at eye level, I had crash bars on my r80 though so that made it considerably wider hat a standard gs.

11. Yeah, the Tiger 1050's not built with offroading in mind; it's an all-roads sportstourer rather than an offroad sports tourer. Triumph's basically said as much.

17" sportsbike wheels wearing sportsbike/sports-tourer rubber, naked-bike/tourer ergonomics and the engine, brakes and chassis out of a Speed Triple 1050. The oil filter and exhaust both run underneath the engine waiting for a big nasty rock to do some remodelling, and the rear brake caliper hangs under the swingarm too. Not really the best design for hardcore offroad use.

It does have medium-travel adjustable suspension, but that's more to give it the flexibility to be set up for spirited sporty street riding or soften things up for touring and/or tackling woeful B-road surfaces with ease while sportsbike ridiers cling to their handlebars for dear life. On some of the shockingly-bad surfaces around Tasmania and some of our alpine regions, the relatively-soft medium-travel suspension of the Tiger1050 was a revelation to me. The big cat simply laps up rough road surfaces and grips while racetrack-sprung sportsbikes skitter and skip into the bushes.

That said, it's not stopped me from doing a few hundred kilometres of gravel/clay road riding on my 1050 on sports-touring semislicks, admittedly in dry conditions. It's fine when the surface is hardpack material or dry clay, but a brown-trousers experience whenever the surface becomes deep, loose gravel. That's not really a fault of the suspension or geometry, it's the semislicks.

The main thing (IMHO) determining offroad capability is the ability to get suitably offroad-oriented tyres; even the greatest enduro bike on earth will be an ugly handful offroad on street semislicks, and the 1050's 17" sportsbike wheels don't offer many choices for knobblies.

(The second thing determining offroad capability is how insane the owner/rider is.)

12. Scorpion Trails are now available in 17 inch, so it should be easier to adapt a road bike for mixed use (at a compromise).

I would ask myself, what is the single biggest buzz I want out of my new bike. If it's tearing up twisties or an occasional track day, I'd buy the Multi. If it's wagging a big bike's tail down an outback road at silly speeds, I'd buy the GS.

Any of them will do the other stuff.

13. The Duc is certainly the beast that pushes my buttons. My concern is that I do 40-50,000Ks a year. I fear that a Duc will be next to worthless in 4 years and the BM would be just run in. Not sure if that's fair or not.

I do a lot of b-grade country roads.

I'll have to have a sit on the GS. I'm 5'11 and the Tiger height is manageable but prefer a bike to be just a bit shorter so I firmly put balls of my feet on the ground. Little bit on tip-toe.

14. You've got a point about the Duc. Even if it is running perfectly at 50k, that'll be too much for most prospective buyers. BM buyers won't care.

KTM Adv probably too tall but 990SMT an option? You're taller than me and the SMT seat is lower than my older 950SM.

15. Ten year old ST4's 60 thou on them are still asking 12's +
    From memory I paid $23,000 for mine back then. The 90 V is the smoothest twin there is. Vibration wise. Literally don't need a counter balancer... less moving parts. The rockers will need replacing. But they are cheap these days if you don't buy OEM.
    The R1100GS are pulling about ten and had the same retail.
    No Ducati did not have a big chook chaser then. But just going on life span to resale. Ducati lost the unreliable stigma when the yanks bought them out in the early ninties and lifted the game with them.
    Still taking thirty one thousand worth of machinery into the mud is hard to to get my head around.
    And then the old R1100GS would still hold it's head high today against these machines crossing the Nullabour and beyond.

16. Ride the MTS and the GS and see which puts the bigger smile on your face. I'm betting the MTS.

As for resale in 5 years; is five years of good memories and fun really worth so little that you'd swap it for five years of 'it was OK' for $5k or so in resale? Assuming you buy the Duc of course...

17. Get a V Strom, good comfortable ride, plenty of power and can handle gravel etc ok, best value I reckon.

Oh, I have one by the way.

18. I had the VStrom, now have the Multi.

One of the reasons I bought the multi is that I was likely to be commuting from Kilmore so I had a similar situation to yours. For now I commute on it from Tarneit.

Regardless, I find it really is a great bike for the purposes. You can switch from enduro for the dirt to sport for the twisties to touring for the freeway and you will love each of them. If anything you are a lucky bugger for being able to enjoy each of these facets of riding on your commute each day!

To give perspective, I also have other bikes that I ride for various purposes but for your uses I can't recommend the multistrada highly enough.

I think for your mileage, resale is a secondary concern. With, say, 120-200,000 kms on a bike I doubt you will sell it quickly no matter what it is.

19. I'm still thinking about the Duc. I think it really comes down to being able to justify the expense. Is the bigger smile worth twice the price of a Bandit?

I'm not sure that the VStrom is significantly different to the Bandit. It's not like I have a lot of dirt.

After 3 months I'm still enjoying my commute. Mind you it was a tad chilly this morning.

20. Just a heads up on the gs and electrickery adjustable suspension in general. I have not had fantastic experiences. I bought a new 2008 gs with the ESA after I forgot why I sold my 2005 gs. Now the settings were fantastic - It was really good to be able to adjust preload at the touch of a button etc. And the sport settings really firmed things up. The problem was that the front ESA died at 3500 kms. Not a huge issue as it was under warranty. When I asked how much it was to replace the ESA on the front end it was $3500 dollars. They are a biatch to rebuild and also spares were'nt available then. Not bad then eh - a dollar a kilometre!8-[

I had a look around on the net and found that a few people had a problem with this early gen ESA. Not trying to talk you out of ESA and tractions aids (make wheelies real hard!) but you should know that long term, it may cost you more than the benifits are worth. Just my opinion of course.

Also the weight thing- I have a bung arm (old tennis elbow injury) and found the gs a bugger to move around. I now have an FJR1300 and although tipping the scales at over 250kg I find it heaps easier to move around due to the lower centre of gravity and the fact that the bike is lower overall. Im 6'2'' by the way.

Oh and while Im on a soapbox - dual sports like the GS and others (eg Vstrom) gave me the irrits with buffetting at hwy speeds. Bought 4 different windscreens for the GS and none solved the issue. Had a headache after 20 minutes every time - not good with a 160 km commute I'd reckon.

Just my 50 cents worth....