Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Muffler Modifications

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Old Salt, Jul 20, 2008.

1. I have a 1997 Honda SR50 Dio. which I want to derestrict. My question is if I drill out the washer in the muffler will it do any damage to the motor? I don't want to do burn outs!! I just want to be able to do just a little bit more than 55kph.to stop SUV's sitting on my butt around town. I am sure the variator plate is still installed, so by removing it would this give the desired result without having to drill out the washer??? Or any other suggestions to tweek it would be appreciated.

2. if you drill it out you should easily be able to hit 100 mate.

in all seriousness. no it wont do any damage and it will probably do a bees dick of performance difference. want to go faster than 55km/h? buy a 125 or 250....or better yet get a real bike
  3. It won't damage the motor, but it won't improv eperformance, either.

The restriction (if any) will be in the intake, maybe at the carb, and possibly also at the exhaust port.

An expansion chamber would also help, along with appropriate tuning.

A bigger bike/scooter would be better. ;-)

Trevor G