Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Muffler internals

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by SamH, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Hokay, here goes.

Talked to the guy who owns the 250 I'm using till I get my P's and he informed me that the muffler is essentially just an empty tube stuck on the end of the pipe. No actual muffle going on in there. What do I need to do to quiet this thing down? I've seen bags of "muffler fluff" in the shops, would some of this stuff along with an internal tube... thing... help?

By tube thing I mean that... thing, tube, with holes in it... yeah. I'm pretty new to all this, in case anyone wasn't sure :D

Bike is an 85' XL250

While I'm on the subject, this bike is an absolute bearstard to get going once it's hot, kicks over first go cold with no choke or accelerator but get it hot and it's hell, run start material. Any ideas?

Cheers

Sam

2. Dirtbike.

3. That stuff is called 'packing material', and yours would prob need re-packing. Inside your exhaust can (the end-bit) you should find a pipe with holes in it, wrap the sucker in the packing material to shut it up.

As to the poor running, it could be a million things but it sounds like the mixture is wrong...sounds like it's running rich (whatever that means).

4. lack of muffler internals could also be stuffing up the mixture