Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Muffler Gunk cleaning

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Portagrug, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Hey all.. with the under body muffler on my ER-6F .. ive noticed it collects a lot of black gunk.. :) mainly from chain and the little drain pipes that hang down around it..

What do we think would be a good way to clean a muffler?? spray degreaser on it and then pressure hose it off??

other ideas? dont really wanna take a stiff brush to it for fear of scratching up the brushed stainless look..

Fanks all :)
  2. I just use kerosene on mine, then a bit of chrome cleaner. Usualy do it when i'm cleaning the chain.
  3. Grab yourself some WD-40 and those Scotch Brite scourer pads and you can take most gunk off an exhaust. Let it soak in a bit and then give it a good scrub :)
  4. you mean the plastic style ones and not steel wool im assuming??
  5. Something like these scourer pads work well for getting rid of general muck off the exhaust. For baked on gunk, such as melted plastic, steel wool does work and on most exhaust surfaces and won't cause any scratches. Best to try something less abrasive at first though.
  6. yeah ok.. those are the ones i was thinking about.. Thanks.. ill give it a crack this weekend.. :)