Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Muddy rain

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Banana Fred, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Is it just Melbourne or do other cities get that muddy rain? Everytime I clean the car or bike, it rains the next day and I get this dirty mud rain.

2. Most of Victoria is dry and flat - as a result the wind tends to pick up dirt and dump it on Melbourne. I'm sure some people here would remember this incident:
    Same sort of thing (but on a smaller scale) would be what's getting your bike dirty. FWIW being outside of Melbourne it doesn't even have to rain for my bike to get covered in dirt, even though it's kept undercover (so much dust in the air due to the lack of rain).
  3. Check your calendar - it's November Rain!

4. Nice picture JD... can't remember seeing it but damn that's like some of those photos sent back of sandstorms from the Middle East.
    I don't have a garage that I can stash my car or bike into so whenever I do intend to clean them up I always check the 7 day weather forecast to see how long it will be till the next showers so that they will remain clean for at least a little while.
  5. We get that muddy rain in Canberra too... :?
  6. I don't know if its just my shoddy memory or not but I don't remember us having this muddy rain when I was a young tacker. It feels to me like a recent climate change has brought on this phenomenon.
  7. It's not actually mud in the rain.
    What happens is you get light dust fall on teh bike or whatever, and you can't see it due to it being finely dispersed over the whole bike. When it rains, the water droplets gather up all the dust, and when teh drops dry off, there you go, spots!
    I recommend a $25 Kmart dust/motorcycle cover. They are big enough for anything short of a cruiser.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. A cover is a good idea for sure.
    But I guess I'm just curious whether we've always had this dirty rain or whether its a recent change?
  9. We're in a drought at the moment so the ground's drier and therefore there's a lot more dust in the air. More dust means dirtier bikes and cars (and unless you live in Melbourne you aren't allowed to wash them either).
  10. 20 mins down off the Mtn on the bike with a clear visor on tues evening & I could hardly see out of it!
    And we're breathing it all in too ........ :(