Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MUARC has nothing on these guys

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mr Flibble, Jan 9, 2012.

1. http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...-the-day-a-raised-speed-limit-causes-obesity/

2. Well the medical researchers have a point - there's no doubt that the advent of cars and the rise of obesity are linked - so why have they stopped at the speed limit increase then?? They should take it to the logical conclusion and ban cars. That will help tackle the obesity and also improve the road fatality toll in one fell swoop.

3. OTOH, the UK had no motorway speed limit until 1967, so why was everyone not spherical prior to that point?
  4. I saw a health article the other day, written by experts, that said having sex with chickens increases the risk of penis cancer. Yep... those experts sure are experts at being experts.
  5. I
    You sure?

6. Well here in Australia then research should be carried out with the correlation that lowering speed limits has LED to higher incidents of obesity, since people are spending MORE time in their cars hence exercising less and eating more fast foods as a result thanks to more drive throughs.
  7. You think they haven't got that next on the list?

Actually, I think this time around it's just a venal misinformation campaign from the Politically Correct brigade because they aren't being pandered to. I sincerely doubt that any of them truly believe there is a direct causal relationship here.

And PatB - you are a blasphemer and a heretic and will doubtless burn in hell! (Speedkills is now officially the state religion.)
  8. Oh, a lot of people died on Britain's motorways prior to 1967 (and many have died since), at least some as a partial result of travelling at inappropriate speeds. They just didn't die spherical :D.

Incidentally, I heard once, from a source I'd regard as being, if not reliable, at least sane, that the 70 mph limit was imposed , not for the safety reasons publically cited, but because a senior government minister was pissed off that his new Jaguar was repeatedly overtaken by Aston Martin's test drivers giving A-M's Le Mans entries a (entirely legal) workout from Newport Pagnell down to Watford Gap and back before breakfast :twisted:.
  9. I hope said "researchers" get laughed out of the country. Then the planet ](*,)
  10. higher limits would mean people spend less time in transit, which they can then spend excercising!

(hahah. Really.)