Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC MUARC calls for reducing speed limits... again.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Get a gander at this!

= = = = =

Lowering speeds will cut road toll: expert

CUTTING the speed limit could significantly reduce the number of people who die on Australian roads, a leading road trauma researcher says.

A total of 48 people died on Australian roads this Christmas/New Year period, slightly less than the 50 who died over the 2011/12 period, according to the Australia New Zealand Policing Advisory Agency (ANZPAA).

Professor Max Cameron from the Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) says there are things that can be done - especially on rural roads - to further cut the road toll.

"The modern thinking about road safety is we've gone about as far as we can go in preventing crashes ... but we want to make those crashes less injurious and the key to making crashes less injurious in terms of fatal outcome is to crash at lower speeds," Prof Cameron told AAP.

"No matter how the crash occurs, whether it's drink-driving or drug-driving or fatigue, if you crash at a lower speed you're much less likely to result in a fatal crash."

This holiday season, NSW - which started its holiday road period two days before the rest of the country - had the highest number of fatalities with 15 deaths, followed by Victoria where nine people lost their lives.

For 2012, Victoria had a record low road toll of 279, making it the fifth consecutive year of improvements.

South Australia was the only other state to reduce its road toll for 2012, according to Victoria Police.
    Prof Cameron attributed this to speed limit enforcement.

"The one thing that both those states do, and Victoria in particular, is really get serious about speed enforcement," he said.

"Most other states seem to be even apologetic in terms of enforcing even existing speed limits let alone the lower ones that I'm talking about."

But SA's acting assistant police commissioner Michael Cornish said the state's seven deaths over the period were all avoidable.

"In some cases those who died made very deliberate decisions to place themselves and other road users at risk by speeding or drinking alcohol and driving, but in some cases it was just a moment of distraction or inattention," Mr Cornish said.

Mr Cornish said despite an intensive policing campaign, positive drugs and alcohol tests during the holiday period were up on the previous year.

The number of positive drug tests rose from 33 to 97, alcohol offences increased to 220 from 209 while speeding fines more than doubled to 1440.

= = = = =

Ok, this guy has earned his Professor stripes, but I'm calling it now, he's not that bright. There was a massive spike in driver fatals last year. This occurred under one of the toughest speed enforcement regimes in the world, which actually targets and focusses motorvehicles. Peds, riders and passengers all recorded reductions. Is he suggesting that speed enforcement resulted in these reductions whilst increasing driver fatals?

Where's the critical journalism gone these days???

2. Then people here wonder why we do not support these fcukwits
  3. Yeah because you really care at what speed you're doing when yer off yer chops.

Why don't we just ban vehicles once and for all.
  4. If this F'wit thinks that "we've gone about as far as we can go in preventing crashes" then he obviously hasn't ridden / driven around on the nanny states roads very much and needs to get out and about a little more. The standard of vehicle operation in this state is abysmal and much needs to be done to improve it. Sideways result of a better standard of vehicle operator skill will be fewer mistakes, errors and crashes.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Crashes involving alcohol... drunks aren't more likely to obey reduced speed limits.

Crashes involving high speed (as opposed to breaking an arbitrary speed limit)... an incompetent f*wit doing 200 in a 100 zone will do 200 on the same road if it's an 80 zone too.

What a twunt.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. What do they mean they've gone as far as they can go in preventing crashes?????? What about crap roads and all the drivers who don't pay attention to what they're doing? Address those issues first!
    • Like Like x 3
  7. These are the self-same people who have fought tooth and nail against improving driver training as a strategy. THEY are the reason it has never been attempted or evaluated. Self interest.
  8. What petition to sign to get that "expert" out of the business?
  9. I honestly doubt that. Most of the near misses that I witness on the road are the result of bad decision making, inattention, unsafe habits etc - all issues that can be addressed, to some extent, with more thorough driver training. The current system is based upon the idea that anyone who drives a car is a good driver and is qualified to teach new drivers. Why anyone would make that assumption is a mystery to me.
    • Like Like x 7
  10. The guy is very smart

Monash knows where their bread is buttered

They are sellouts who tweak their findings to suit the party line.

The real question is why no journos think a story this tasty is worth their time
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The more crashes there are the more funding they get.
  12. Slow news week?
  13. ISWYDT
  14. It's a weak and desperate industry looking to avoid the funding cuts. It is most likely the most hated and despised industry and really has no community support apart from the people that profit from them.
  15. The fact that nobody calls them out in the media for their junk "science" is revolting. I hope they all die horrible in in-home accidents
  16. #16 trd2000, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    yeah cause Tasmania moving to change rural limits from 100 to 90, and the NT going from infinate to 130 isn't moving to a lower limit.... what IS he talking about? does he even know?

remember.. a reduction in the NT from no limit to 130... an introduction in demerit points and traffic cops... all like Victoria... saw a rise of 70% in their road toll from the date of inception.... maybe there IS more to it that just speed huh prof?

ps. 74% sounds high but 2007 was trending towards a record low and the trend reversed sharply from the month the limits changed... year on year the limits accounted for about a 30% increase in deaths.
  17. ....i never thought i'd say this...but i wanna live in NT
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lol they're 130 for a reason... you might be able to go 130 but it'd be like spending all your time on the Hume.... 130's not enough to make up for that.

i love that they didn't have any traffic cops or demerits and their toll was lower.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I'm very glad to see that people are picking up on The Massive Spike in Car Fatals last year. I watched the trend all last year, and even recall raising it on several occasions here on Netrider, only to have my remarks swept aside.

This is something which you raised in the VMC Submission to the Motorcycle Safety Inquiry Rob, and its abundantly clear now that you were 100% correct.

Why won't the TAC come out and come clean on this? FFS they were told often enough on their FB site.

VSRA put out a media release this week on this topic - I note that it has gone nowhere.......and the media haven't picked up on this story.

All this guy is telling me, is that he wants to increase my travelling time and create more traffic congestion. There must be a better way to approach crash reduction. It might cost more to achieve in monetary terms time to call for the implementation of:

Recommendation 62: That the hypothecation of funds derived from enforcement, and their transfer to a specific road safety fund which could be used to supplement existing funding for road safety measures, including those aimed at motorcyclists, such as that in Western Australia and New South Wales, be implemented in Victoria.

This recommendation would result in a lot more money being invested in Road Safety - to which we could claim. It would get rid of the TAC levy (one would assume).

But, the question is - How do we go about getting it to happen? Media Release seems to be a bit of a waste of time. Is anyone organising for something to be done on Day 1 of Vic Parliament Sitting on Tuesday 5th Feb - maybe a group of bikes to attract a bit of media? Best day for an Awareness Event that I would choose.