Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MT07 power to weight

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Berzo54, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Hey everyone. First timer to this forum stuff so if I'm posting in the wrong place don't be scared to steer me in the right direction. I'm putting a deposit down on an mt07 next week and am pretty excited about it too. I've only ever ridden dirt so I'm excited about doing some street riding on this animal.
    The question I have is, about the power to weight. I know it's very close to the lams limit and was wondering if an akrapovic pipe would make the bike technically illegal for a learner because of being 3-4kg lighter and I believe it gives e's a small power increase. Thanks for any replies in advance!

2. Well it's your first post so it's not totally out of place in the welcome lounge but a better fit here me thinks.
  3. Maybe, perhaps you should eat a few more pies to compensate for the loss.
  4. It *might* technically be a hair over ... maybe, but in the real world nobody is going to care. Even if you prang, spectacularly, nobody is going to verify that it's exactly and precisely the right p:w. If you hand a NOS tank on it you might get yourself in strife but other than that it's absurdly unlikely. Besides, as Nihilil mentioned, a few extra pies (or a few less) make the same or more difference anyway. The best place to shave 10Kg off a bike is from the rider and, ahem, most of us wouldn't exactly vanish with a few Kgs less.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. The subject of slip-ons is one of those things in motorcycle circles that many won’t agree on. Do they or don’t they actually help improve your motorcycles performance. In our opinion they do, but it’s got nothing to do with improving engine efficiency. It’s simply that most of the time an aftermarket exhaust will weigh less than what comes standard on your bike.

Motorcycle manufacturers are out to make a profit which means where possible, they’ll use cheaper components to save money. A muffler is usually one of those cheap components. It doesn’t hurt the engine performance in any way, but cheap on a motorcycle often means heavy – and OEM mufflers are often very, very heavy. Aftermarket exhausts on the other hand are priced in such a way that they can weigh many pounds less than what comes standard on your bike. Weight saving is a performance improvement.

But they don’t increase horsepower. We’ll probably get some comments arguing this point, but there’s nothing we’ve ever seen that indicates that slip-ons do anything to improve engine efficiency. We’ve seen some argue that a good designed muffler will reduce the amount of air reflected back up the exhaust pipe but again, we haven’t see any real evidence that this is actually true.

And yes, almost every slip-on manufacturer will provide a dyno chart showing the horsepower gains of their product. But it’s not a fair comparison. Those dyno charts are done under conditions that are favorable to the slip-on – the engine has been tuned, higher octane fuel is used and potentially even ignition timing has been altered. If the same was done with a stock exhaust, the result would be the same. Slip-ons provide weight savings, not horsepower increase.

From: News - Understanding How Motorcycle Exhausts Work | Netrider - Australia's Best Motorcycle Community

6. In nsw a Lams bike "cannot be modified" so technically any modification that doesn't use a standard oem part voids its status as a Lams bike.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. True.
    Modifications to novice approved motorcycles
    For a motorcycle to remain approved for use by novice riders it must not be modified in any way from its manufacturer’s standard specifications.

Only motorcycles that retain all of the manufacturer’s original equipment for that model and model variant will retain novice rider status under the Learner Approved Motorcycle scheme (LAM).
    Extract from the NSW Roads and Maritime website.
  8. All good points. I guess I can't legally change the bike. thanks for the input boys. I'd hate to drop it and my insurance say no pay because of no licence to tide that bike and no insurance