Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MT07 Metallic Rattling Noise?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by BenTurner, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Hey guys. Ive got a Yamaha MT07. About 400kms on it and have noticed a metallicy rattling noise coming from the left side of the bike when moving under power and coasting in gear. Can hear it quite clearly up to 75 80 ks through the helmet and road noise. Cant find any bolts or fittings loose anywhere and seems to be internal. Any one have any ideas what it could be. Gonna try and get it into the shop in the next day or two but just trying to get an idea what it is so they cant plau silly buggers over it. cheers guys

2. take it to the shop could be anything from loose shit to bad cam chain tension
  3. Agree. The description is too vague and it could be anything from minor to fatal. Take it back to the dealer and get them to check it out.
  4. A good few early MT09s had problems with dodgy cam chain tensioners which made a rattling noise at idle. That would be my first guess.
  5. under power you say...my first thought is pinging, are you using good fuel, like 98 ? whats the recommended fuel for it?
  6. How's the oil level ?
  7. Have put in 98. pretty sure reccomended is 98 minimum 95
  8. Oil levels good and the oil itself still looks ok
  9. Thanks for the replys. Will definitely be taking it to the shop just thought if ask the question here first
  10. loose chain?
  11. Same thought... They can sound horrible when dry and loose.
  12. the chains well lubed and tightened to factory specs. they are really sloppy though but apparently thats the way they are.
  13. Yeah when in doubt have someone check it out..! Good luck with it, hopefully its just something loose..
  14. its going into the shop tomorrow. had to ride it to work and back today. and the more i hear it the more i think its gearbox related. was a gear to high today and the sound definitely got more prominent
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Let us know what the outcome is please.
  16. Went in today. they couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Nipped the chain up a touch. the noise is still there so maybe it being my first road bike and brand new probably being paranoid. Will be interesting to see if it quietens down a bit after the first service when all fluids are replaced. The oil is pretty grubby so coild be affecting it
  17. sound like these?
    MT07 chain noise

and again

MT09 cam chain tensioner failure
  18. Cant be 100% due to road noise and helmet ect but it does sound like the chain but maybe a little higher pitched
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mine also, has been doing my head in trying to find it. Have asked dealer, who checked and tensioned everything. I'm a Ex mechanic and have checked everything I can think of. Bike had service still no difference. Saw someone mention washer behind the gear selector rattling and a spot of grease fixed it, still no joy.