Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mt Baw Baw

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' started by Masakali, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Its been a while since I last climbed baw baw in the cage, so decided to go on the bike yesterday.
    The road is horrible, logging trucks has completely destroyed the start of the road, and there are too many loose rocks on almost every blind corner towards the top. Potholes are found right in the middle of the road in most places. Ascending is mostly blind, but some fun can be had on the descent where you can see through the corners better, but the short amounts of pros are easily outweighedby the cons. To top it off, the view from the top is shit and there is no food except for a restaurant that charges $15 for a bowl if wedges.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Did it today and would agree. Just after Noojee the potholes start. Some of them would not really be doing them justice calling them potholes. Craters is what they are. With all the shadowing from the trees it is sometimes very hard to pick them up until you're right on them. You will encounter way more potholes on the way up than on the way down. Summit was a disappointment, not much to see up there, the summit itself is enclosed in snow gums, the best views are around some of the ski runs where the trees have been cleared. Wouldnt be rushing back up there.

The Tooronga Falls were good, rode in there on the way back for a look. You have do negotiate a bit of gravel to get to them unfortunately, some of it is rutted and will shake the shit out of your poor bike. Also the Noojee Trestle Bridge was pretty cool, worth stopping in there for a look.
  3. I drove up there early in the week, the day it poured rain. Agree on the big chunks of rocks and potholes, poor indeed. I could see stuff all at the summit due to the aforementioned trees and the bucketing rain.
  4. Didn't do Mt Baw Baw itself but the Yarra Juncition-Noojee rd, willowgrove rd ad moe-walhalla roads had an absolute abundance of potholes. Had bits which were good and missed most of the potholes but the suspension and my butt got a workout.