Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MT-07 fender eliminator lights wiring help!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by wardy1, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

I'm currently installing a fender eliminator on my shiny new MT-07, I've run into issues with connecting the rear LED light for the number plate . I'm an electronics noob and can't seem to get it to work . What I've done is got the blue and black wires from the bike and soldered them to the black and red from the light (all wrapped around each other). Is this correct ? Or is it meant to just be black soldered to black and red to blue ...I've tried both and no luck so far , starting to pull my hair out !!

Any advice from others who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. First of all LED lights are polarity sensitive so they will work with power one way but not the other. Do you have a multimeter? If so measure the voltage between the wires to work out which is positive and which are negative. Is there a wiring diagram in your Owners Manual?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Do you have a spare battery handy that you can test the LED light on ?
    I'd expect Red to positive and Black to Negative but maybe it has an issue.

A test light or multi-meter should prove the same with your bike.

4. As above check with a multi meter, buy a cheapy if you don't have one. Also check the fuses.

Welcome to Netrider, where abouts in Sydney are you?

5. This. Don't need a spare battery, just use your bike battery :) You cannot break the LED or your battery.
    As above, try red on + and black on - first and it should light-up - voila! If not, swap them over and then you'll know.

6. Thanks for the responses guys . Is it fairly straight forward to use a multi meter? Again, I'm a compete noob in this area...

So I'm guessing wrapping all the wires together and soldering was not the correct way to do it, ;-) is there a chance I've damaged the light or blown a fuse by doing that? It did make a slight clicking sound when I connected power.

HillsyHillsy cheers!, I'm at Dee Why in Sydney.

7. Hey wardy1wardy1 on the MT07 number plate wiring, black is the positive and blue is ground/negative. There should be videos on the YouTubes showing how to use multimeters and test lights.

8. wardy1wardy1 I'd say the fuse is blown if I understand you correctly, I'm only in Collaroy, happy to help out if you need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The BrettThe Brett cheers mate.

HillsyHillsy legend ! I might have to take you up on your kind offer... I just had another crack using the info from The Brett but still no luck .

10. Yep no worries, I'm free this arvo if you want. Otherwise pm me when your ready.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Cheers, I'm trying to PM you but I can't seem to find where that function is...I have the conversations page but can't add a new one. Is it because I'm new and my post count is low?

12. Yes, there are a few functions and forums you won't have until your account upgrades to Member status. The banner under your avatar will change to orange when that happens.

You can reply to PMs initiated by Members or Premium Members.

13. Ok will send a pm bud

14. c3TW3xJ.

Shoutout to HillsyHillsy for saving the day.

For the record, blue is positive, black is negative for the number plate light.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Many apologies for the bum steer! Imma just slink away. Looks real nice.

16.  Top
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Selfishly hoarding karma ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dead thread bump. Was doing some wiring on the bike earlier and it reminded me of this thread and I felt bad again for dud advice... For whatever reason the red and black wires on my R&G are the opposite to what you would expect

20160125_165932.