Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Owen, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Is the yamaha MT-03 coming to australia?! i want one!

2. Except the MT-03 is a single cylinder 660. Haven't seen any mention of the MT-03 being brought out here and given it's been available in Europe for a while probably not likely that it's going to be (Yamaha probably figure the XT-660 is enough).
  3. Thanks for the link. Don't know what the market would be like for the MT03

Whilst it looks way out there, being 174kg and average power but puts out OK torque :cool:

Max. power 35.3 kW (48 PS) @ 6,250 rpm
    Max. torque 56.2 Nm (5.73 kg-m) @ 5,500 rpm

Whereas er6, at 173kg, power comes on a bit higher in the rev range, but also comes with six speed :grin:

Power: 71.07 HP (51.9 kW)) @ 8500 RPM
    Torque: 66.00 Nm (6.7 kgf-m or 48.7 ft.lbs) @ 6700 RPM

EDIT - not aware XT660 also single

Power: 47.33 HP (34.5 kW)) @ 6000 RPM
    Torque: 58.40 Nm (6.0 kgf-m or 43.1 ft.lbs) @ 5950 RPM
  4. XT660 has no appeal for me.

MT-03 would seriously be a contender, shortlisted against the Aprilia Pegaso Strada, BMW F650GS or the new G series BMWs and the Ducati MultiStrada 620 for me.

When I was first researching what types of bikes I'd enjoy, I came across a review of the MT-03. After reading it, I hastily brought up the Yamaha web page to check prices - very disappointed it's not being sold here :?
  5. yeah i know - hence why i said LOOKS - I was talking about it's LOOKS

i think it's a nice looking bike.
    would have to ride one though before deciding
  6. Only if you don't look at the engine, or rear suspension or put them next to each other (the MT-03 is shorter, wider and higher than an FZ6) :p. There is rumours that Yamaha is going to add another bike to the series with the MT-02 (using the parallel twin from the TDM900). That's certainly something I'd be interested in.
  7. All the reviews I have read of the MT-03 were not impressed at all.
  8. You want street cred? At least this one exists...

Anyway, Australia doesn't want the MT-03. It's too soft.

1600 cc's baby...

Don't fight it :p

9. Wheres the Wow factor. Looks f*cken ugly! :LOL:
  10. But impressively ugly :eek:
  11. just like me :p

12. It doesn't even have inverted forks. Built to go on the attack my arse.
  13. So its a SZR in naked trim then?
  14. Wraith doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid - but check out their upcoming project, Renovatio. That one is bloody wild!

My first thought was, 'interesting frame, I wonder what the finished bike will look like?' then I realised - whoa, this *is* the finished bike!!!

My second thought then was, 'that's one ugly bike!'... but it has grown on me a lot, once I started reading about it. You've got to admire such minimalist purposeful design - well, at least that is something that I respond to. 1600cc V-Twin putting out 130hp combined with 156kg total weight sounds pretty good too.
    And that bicycle seat just cracks me up... though not as much as the other design they have (I hope that is an older one) where the seat is just this little piece of plastic or something protruding from the tank. That one looks about as comfortable as perching on a broomstick.
  15. I also was interested in the MT-03, the concept has been watered down alot, lost a few features like the belt drive for example and previous claimed power and gained some weight.

I'd still like a motard that is made for the street - reasonable seating, fuel range and power etc that doesnt need rebuild ever 50 hrs or weigh as much as full road bike. Nothing so far.

Certainly dont need a big engine or alot of power to have fun - some people simply dont get that yet - but in this case the reviews do all suggest this bike is not a good take on the original concept.
  16. The CCM 644 SM looks close - 53hp, 137kg and a 13L tank:
    But unfortunately they're not sold here :( (Shame really because I really like the look of the CR-40 myself).