Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mr Scruby at it again

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by CBRSteve, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Our old mate Harold Scruby from the Pedestrian Council is at it again

Remember this?

http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancouncil/Page.asp?PageID=1181

or the whole front numbe plate fiasco?

I saw an interview with him on Sunrise and he now wants to ban skateboards from any CBD & also ban bicycle couriers.

This guy is a nutjob. Nothing more, nothing less. :LOL:

2. The funniest quote I heard about him was by some bigwig at the rta.

Along the lines of "The Pedestrian Council? Don't you mean Harold Scrub and his fax machine?"

3. He's a frustrated media hound. He spent years trying to ram a new flag down our throats, and when he finally realised no-one was listenting, he appointed himself as spokesman for pedestrians. I have never heard two consecutive words from him that made sense or had value.

4.  Top
  5. I think he has a relative called Unco Damo :LOL:

6. Oh no - he want's hairspray outlawed! :roll:

7. Harold wouldn't be seen dead in brown leathers... :LOL: :LOL:

8. I like that name.... Scruby...

And what exactly does Mr. Scruby Doo?

Scrooby dooby dooooooooOOOO!

9. They're cut from the same cloth - egocentric and blinkered - I think Harold is a bit less devious though. :LOL:

I think Hornet's misunderstood Harold's flag efforts. The flag Harold really wanted was one that someone would carry as they walked in front of these new-fangled horseless carriages... :LOL: :LOL:

TonyE

10. blokes a fcukwit !
    someone should knock him over on a unregistered bike towing a scateboarder behind him weaving in and out of bikes parked on the footpath with no number plates while wheelieing and talking on the mobile phone

11. you forgot the tinted windows :LOL:

12. This part amuses me..

When I read that I did a bit of research. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that he also had a job with the mob that made speed cameras. Poltech, the organisation in question went into administration last year, I think it was. I wonder if Ray's still got a job.

It's amazing. Politicians get lambasted when, after retiring from Parliament (or in the case of some, who lose their seat), end up with plum jobs with companies that they once dealt with on an official basis.

No doubt Shuey, as the head traffic cop, who was always going on about speed cameras (he started refering to them as "safety" cameras), got on well with those who peddled such wares.

13. the problem is knobs like this bloke will use the new anti terrorism laws to assist his cause.
    he has allready screwed up 2 jobs and orginisations hopefully he will do the same to this one.

14. It's interesting that the article by Peter McKay (see the link in Kaer's post above) is on Scruby's own site, and contains lovely stuff like this quote from the NRMA:

"Scruby would better serve his cause by spending his funding on educating pedestrians instead of demanding lower speed limits. Instead of focusing on speed, Scruby's PCA should demand enforcement of no-stopping and no-parking zones at schools.

Unfortunately, his actions tend to be random rather than focused on analysis of need."

And this, from David Marr (ex-Media Watch and a former classmate of Scruby):

"He's a mad bugger but people listen to him and, in the end, get quite fond of him. He hasn't changed since he drove us crazy in the classroom and in the playground.

But Harold has never been able to calculate where he should concentrate his energies. And today I still have no idea what drives him."

And finally, from another classmate and fellow member of the Australian College of Road Safety committee:

"I just think that he is so over the top at times, and gets people offside, that it takes twice as long as it should to get results. Harold has a tendency to attack the person more than the issue. However, it does seem to get him in the news."

I wonder if Scruby read the article before posting it?

15. The company I work for just 'acquired' a very prominent and top level public servant that recently retried, as an employee. It's all about who you know ... my company is paying top dollar for this person, but in doing so is buying this person contacts and influence - a commodity considered almost priceless when you are trying to open doors with corporate CxO's

16. Did Ronald McDonald retire???????

17. he's probably just of the opinion that any publicity is good publicity :?

18. How the f#$k did Scrubber get a spot on Sunrise?
    It would seem that they'll let any loudmouth safetycrat who sends in enough letters on their show... maybe next week they will have on the Junior Chairman of the Oxygen Breathers association, who would be trying to ban any solid, liquid or gaseous object that may prove to be a choking hazard.

19. Yep, you hit the nail on the head. It's all about influence. When you can get the ear of top level bureaucrats and politicians, the world is your oyster.

Information is power, as they say.

Its why organisations spend millions sponsoring political parties and presidential candidates. It's not because they like what they stand for, or that they're mates with the guy, it's what they can do for them if they win office.

Once they're in, it's payback time.