Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by chani, May 20, 2007.

1. I have to move in three weeks, from Kensington, to Werribee.

When we moved in we did it ourselves, but now, I have a great big TV cabinet, that is VERY heavy. We can move everything else, it all fits in a large covered trailer.

But because I'll have my Wisdom Teeth out two days prior, I won't be doing much heavy lifting...

So, I need recommendations for removalists, the cheaper the better. If I'm going to get them out for the TV cabinet, then they might aswell take everything else, since they'll be here anyway.

It also doesn't have to be a Saturday, I'll only be in hospital for a few hours. So I'll be home Thursday & Friday aswell.

Don't bother mentioning minimovers, I got a quote from them for $139 an hour. It will probably only take a few hours anyway, but still.

Thanl you :grin:
  2. try pickfords (google em)

i packed all my own boxes they moved it from my old to my new place in less than 2 hours, the guys were amazing, no knocks or scratched, just in and out quickly and efficiently.

for 15 boxes and a house full of furnature it cost me $330, and it was money well spent
  3. Mate, I was fine the same night I had my wisdom teeth out (6mths ago). If that is your only concern then hire yourself a trailer and do it yourself! :wink:
  4. Depends on what they find when they're pulling the teeth for whether or not you'll be ok that night ;) Personally, I wouldn't be relying on it being easy and being fine by that night if you have a deadline to move by :)
  5. Depends how much work is needed for the op. My wisdom teeth were relatively straightforward to remove but I had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic and was sick for days afterwards.

Chani is doing the right thing by assuming low capacity two days after the op. If she pulls up quicker then thats a bonus but you never plan forward movements on that sort of optimism.

Best of luck with the move and the op Chani, I don't envy you either.

:grin: :grin: :grin:
  6. I agree, plan on light duties. I was fine for two days after I had four wisdom teeth out, but after that I had horrible pain for around four days!
    It depends on where your nerves are in relation to your teeth, how impacted the teeth are, how far they have to prise open your jaw! etc, I am sure Livingstonest could shed more light, I believe he is a dentist.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. I know a couple of blokes thatll do it for a ....

hmm maybe your wisdom would interfere with tha too :p
  8. Hahaha, thanks guys.

I CAN move all the stuff, except the cabinet with my house mate & my dad, but the cabinet is bloody heavy. I can't move it around our lounge without working up a sweat!! Also, my Dad is coming down from Mildura, I don't want ot waste his weekend by making him move. Or him putting his back out.

I'm bad with pain & pain killers, that's why I mentioned the Wisdom teeth. One's fine, the other is rather impacted & when Mum had hers our she had a dry socket, which I'm worried about...

Anyway, the post was more about moving than teeth.

Pickfords sounds like a good one, we live in a little apartment & don't have much, probably max ten boxes & very little furniture. Even if they just take the boring & hard to carry stuff, I can get dad to do the rest.
  9. Have a look at http://www.manwithavan.com.au/

If your stuff will all fit in the back of a trailer, it should also fit in the back of a Ford Transit high roof van.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention I work for them.

As a veteran of many many moves now, my major piece of advice is... Take it apart, and put it in a box!
    Even if it kinda seems like it'll be fine without one, stuff packs so much better when it's all in a box, and they are much much easier to carry in and out of the house.

Also, if your furniture came into the house in a flat pack (IKEA anyone?) it's much less likely to break during the move if you take it apart again.