Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

moving to the burbs

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robbie55, Oct 19, 2011.

1. With a 14month old son another baby due in Jan my wife and I have been toying with the idea of moving to the burbs (Prestons/Hoxton Park Sydney).

On the plus side I have family there (2 sisters and their families) and we'd be able to get by on my wage only so my wife could be at home full time. + we'd be able to afford a new much larger home.

On the downside there'd be no more walking up to the cafe/shops on sat mornings for breakfast, no more sat nights at a choice of local pubs with mates within a 10 min walking distance, not as good schools (so I'm told) and a much longer commute - meaning less time for me with the kids.

I'm really in two minds as I don't think I'd be able to afford to buy back into an area closer to the city (currently Dulwich Hill 7k from CBD) if I change my mind in a few years and TBH I've never really identified with a suburban life.

Has anyone made this move? Apart from buying a big ass TV what do you actually do, and apart from shopping centres what passes for entertainment?

Hope this doesn't come across as me being a snob but I think this is a substantial lifestyle change and wanted to get insight from those that have made the change or live nearby.

2. We moved out of Sydney altogether over ten years ago, Wollongong is lovely.

As for your move, at least it brings you closer to the Peppercorn Cafe at Mulgoa :LOL:
  3. I assume you can't use your current home as an investment?

I hear rent in Sydney is dear (compared to Melbourne/distance from CBD) so good money to be had renting?

If so take another loan, get a house further out, rent out inner city house and have basically 2 incomes (hopefully rental cost will cover mortgage cost).

That would be my path...but I don't have a family.
  4. Good idea actually - I hadn't considered it, not sure if the figures stack up but worth a look see.
  5. Huge incentives to buy at the moment.
    You can always neg gear it too. Not my favorite way to do things but people say I am wrong.
    The best fun you can have is the fun you make yourself.
    Waiting to be entertained can be as boring as bat shoite. And expensive.
    You wont get the first home buyers grant but you will get the ten G for building a new home.
    You will have to fill the gap between breaking ground and settling too. That part hurts pretty bad financially. Two mortgages at once for a few months.
    Call it enforced high savings or something like that and live on baked beans and toast for a while.
    As for what to do... well swing with the neighbors if it's anything like Coolum ha ha
  6. I have to admit...there are times when you want to shoot yourself in the head.
  7. What do your sisters and their families do for entertainment in that area? That'll give you some insight into what the area generally offers to suburbanites.

The other reality (regardless of where you move) is your increasing family. I found that as you get more kids and as they get older, "your" time starts to get more and more focussed around them. You start to merge the two, as you have friends with kids at similar ages. I drink more beer with blokes in social settings like BBQs than I do in pubs. I love coffee shops, but have my own machine and grinder at home which gets used more often.
  8. If you are currently in an area which suits your lifestyle, has better schools and means you get to spend more time with your kids, then what exactly do you hope to gain by moving? That's what you need to be clear on before you make the jump. Just because you are about to have a second child is not sufficient reason on its own in my opinion.
  9. Thanks for all the feedback some good points to consider - keep them coming.

@atropos a good perspective and you're part right and herein lies the dilemma - we love where we live and what it provides - its the financial aspect and being closer to family that's the lure - I think if my family wasn't there I would be considering more of a sea change like hornet had proposed where at least we would keep some of the lifestyle benefits of local cafes and small shopping strips etc. (and of course a cheaper mortgage allowing my wife to be home fulltime).

I don't expect that anyone is going to be able to give me the definative answer it is something we'll need to decide based on our own needs/circumstances but some views that have been raised here (that I had not considered) are great so I can make a truly balanced decision. Also spoke to a mate last night that said I should rent there for 6 months (and rent out our current house) so we can try before we buy so to speak.
  10. Two kids under 3 and you're worried about entertainment options? :LOL:
    Actually, having family nearby is the golden nugget, especially if the relationships are good enough for regular babysitting (something we would kill for). I'm sure you can find ways to fill those child-free hours.... can't you?
  11. #11 bulby, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Yup. But then cbf-ness kicks in. Living in the suburbs teaches me to kick back and relax (i.e. do nothing) a lot more :p

@OP. I used to live in Melbourne CBD before moving to Point Cook. That's 25km or so, or 30mins commute on a good day). That was after having lived in the city for 9 consecutive years.

Big shock at first, but I've since learned to appreciate it. The worst bit is probably the commute, since I work on the other side of town about 35km away from where I now live.
  12. #12 robbie55, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Yeah probably true - my son is not even quite walking yet and the other not out of the womb so I imagine my leisure time will take a back seat shortly - still if I'm going to get a 1/2 hour every now and then I would want something to do. And yeah my sisters would be able to baby sit.

(Sort of) good to hear - I think I already know the commute will be a bit of shocker my work is around 37K from these areas.

Did you mean to say you appreciate it or just get used to it? and how long before you were comfortable with the decision?
  13. I've always been pretty central, but last year i ended up being about 25kms from the CBD.... without a license.

It really changes your perspective on time and place. All of a sudden, you can't just, like you said, go to the pub with mates and come home. You have to wait for a bus which comes once an hour and then takes an hour to get you home. Or you have to forgo boozing and still it's half and hour home. You spend a lot more time sitting in traffic and planning how not to sit in traffic. You frequent the local shopping complex. You watch season after season of TV. And you drink. Heavily. By yourself. At home. With your family.

You will also develop a penchant for gardening. Your weekends will pass with you and your missus visiting garden centres and open gardens, as well as DIY stores (you will be on a first name basis with the bunnings manager after a few months). You will have a shed. That will be your refuge and it will replace any social life you may have had before you moved to "the burbs".

Your shed will be your castle. Your house will be too full of cushions that your missus insists upon for you to go inside. You will spend many a night there. Occasionally, a friend from your past life may stop by, so you can do things in your shed together. It may, even, become a tool shed, as you seek to re-invigorate the flame your life once had.

All this aside, i would seriously look at getting another mortgage, especially if you're in it for the long run. I imagine you are currently in a 2-3 bedroom place at Dulwich hill? Rent is pretty good around there and the market is savage (i know cause i was once part of that market!) you will find a tenant in days, not weeks, after advertising. Even if that income is just paying off that house, and you never see a cent of it, eventually when that house IS paid off (years down the track) you will have a house that is all yours, and which would have spiralled upwards in it's value thanks to it's location, leaving you with the happy option of selling for a profit or moving back in to a desirable and hip area.

Failing that, buy a big tv, good hi-fi, a nice vacuum cleaner and a good bar fridge.
  14. After hearing that I'm prepared to put the whole idea to bed.
  15. Hey, i'm not married with kids and that's what happened to me. I repented and moved a lot closer and made a full recovery. But be warned.
  16. I grew up in Concord West
    moved to Canterbury in my late teens
    moved to Parramatta in my mid twenties
    now living near Blacktown approaching 30

i don't miss the "inner west" at all, and to tell you the truth, i don't get how it still carries a label from years past, if anything, Parra is central sydney, and anything east of Parra is "the city"

out west,
    you aren't living on top of your neighbours, i.e. there is breathing space between houses
    you don't have the traffic chaos that comes with soccer-mum saturdays or sports-event sundays
    the roads and lanes are wider and in better condition
    the speed restrictions are higher, even on local roads
    why are the schools any worse that whats in "the city"?? little shits are little shits and nerds are nerds...you have them at all schools, and schools are prob cheaper out here too
    you are infinitely closer to the best riding roads around sydney, or its only a short fast motorway ride to reach them (Bells, Putty, Nasho, Old Pac etc...)
    okay yes there are less pubs, but with the bigger man caves and bbq pits in the back yard, are you really going to miss those soggy stinking carpets and wet bar stools??
    houses are bigger and newer, and often more cheaper
    it is quicker to get to the beach and have available parking when you get there, rather than slogging through the shit ****ing traffic to Bondi / Manly / Coogee...think Terrigal / Central Coast / Wollongong...seriously 1 - 1.5hrs in bumper to bumper sweltering gridlock with the kids and $20/hr, 1 hour limit parking, or a 1 hour quick motorway run with free parking??? pretty obvious to me...
    shoppping, go Parra or any of the other multitude of Westfields and weekend markets that the west has that the city doesnt.

etc etc **** im out of breath
  17. Thanks Mav - good write up
  18. I'm loving it now :)
    I only had to get used to the long commutes and not having all the shops at my doorstep.

Things I do miss:
    • The convenience.
    • The view from my balcony (I can see the Docklands from my balcony).

Things I certainly don't miss:
    • The cramped feeling of living in apartments in the city.
    • Copping the neighbours' antiques.
    • Wading through people during peak hours.
    • The noise - trams, traffic, drunks, etc.
    • The relatively higher cost of everything.
  19. i could go on and on...but it's a decision that you and you're family have to make.

and i agree with the idea of keeping the house at Dulwich Hill and renting it out. The value is only going to go up and the rental income can defo balance it out (if you're still paying it off).

For a same value property / house out west, you'll get a whole lot more. Shop around mate you'll be surprised, don't rule out places like Quakers or Rouse Hill. Only 20mins Nth of the areas you suggested that you're interested in.

Not to mention that there's an explosion of Business parks out here too for future employment...
  20. agree i was in sydney but moved to the gong unreal..