Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

moving to QLD on NSW L's

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by serafina, Jun 2, 2006.

  1. I'm a little confused.

    I'm thinking of moving to Queensland this year. I read that Queensland requires its L platers to ride with another rider who has an open license.
    If I carry a NSW Learner license and move to QLD does this mean I’m going to have to start riding with an Open license holder? If this is the case, I will have to give up riding. :'(

    It's extremely off-putting. Am I expected to know someone with an open license who is willing to go out with me whenever I please? How impractical.


    Is there any way around this debacle?
  2. I'm pretty sure you obey the rules and regulations of the state you have your licence in...

    My husband's brother was on his L's and was driving into NSW.. We had to ring up and ask them did he have to do 80 in a 100 zone because of the laws in NSW.. And they said no you obey the rules you have you licence in

    But I could be wrong.. I would ring up QLD transport and find out for sure

    You could always get a QLD licence do Q ride and be able to ride whatever bike you want.. Only depending on your age :)
  3. From what Ive heard when this question has been asked before, if you change states you have to abide by their laws, eg if you have a LAMs GS500 and move to Melbourne you arent allowed to ride it :cry: (thats only if you transfer to a VIC license)

    Just dont "move" to QLD.
    Dont tell them and stay on the NSW lisence, your only visiting, change your license postal address to a NSW friends if you need to. :wink:
    You will have to travel back down to NSW for the test, or transfer the license in a few months when you are eligible for QLD P's (if they recognise NSW L's time)
  4. you technically have to be accompanied by a licenced rider because as Lizzy says you need to obey the rules of where you are riding.

    The best way around the debacle is transfer your L's to QLD l's, then do your Q-ride (no L's waiting period). Problem solved, 250 (RE) licence.
  5. She was actually saying the oposite :wink:

    The restrictions are on your license, not the state you are riding in.
    No matter what state you are in you obey the restrictions of your license, eg capacity, speeds, P plate display.
  6. If you have had your open car licence in any state for more than three years, you can do a Q ride course which costs about $280 and get your open bike licence.
    If not, you may be able to jump onto your P's when you change your licence over. I dont think Queensland transport knows what its doing at the best of times.