Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Moving on up..

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by donna, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Does anyone know of a site where you can search via specs? I'm looking to move up from my 250 beginners and am looking for a secondhand LIGHT(around the 150-170 range) low seat height, low centre of gravity with enough power to handle hand warmers!!(yeah i know-pussy!).. but seriously, any suggests appreciated based on weight and seat height to start with?

2. Got to be honest, unlikely your going to find a bike with all those things. Your weight most of all is extremely unrealistic. My old ZZR-250 Weighed in at around 160 fully wet, so if you want to move up, then you might need to look at a more realistic weight range. Anything that does sneak under though is more often than not an adventure/trail style bike, and low seat heights and centers of gravity are not what they're about. The first thing that jumped to my mind are cruisers. Even the smaller ones hit around 200kg when dry, but they do have a low seat height, low CoG, and should handle heated gear No Problems.

3.  Top
  4. You could look at the Honda CB400. They clock in at a little over your desired weight range - reportedly 189 kg - but that is the wet weight. I can vouch for the low CoG and good seat height. Definitely enough ooomph for hand grip warmers, and enough poke to keep you happy for a while.

http://210.193.216.98/cps/rde/xchg/mynrma/hs.xsl/honda_cb400_super_four_review_2008.htm

They are a bit pricey new, but you might be able to find a good 2nd hand one out there.

5. A postie bike? :p

6. If you are looking for something that light, you could consider a supersports bike (e.g. a 600). But they don't tend to have a low seat height.

7. i would'nt put too much faith in on line specs regarding seat hieght and weight.
    seat hieght given in specs dose'nt help because the width, shape of seat makes a huge diference, plus the suspension hard or soft.
    don't worry about weight so much either, once it's moving it you might find it's not so heavy afterall.
    your best bet is just go out shop around and sit on any and every bike in the shops that might interest you...you'll find all the typical 600's ie: er6, hornet, gladius, gsr have a low saddle suitable for short fat chicks...and besides you get to go shopping, chicks love shopping right...also italian bikes tend to suit midgets because italians have really short legs...even tall italians have really short legs, wierd huh...have you ever seen a tall italian on a ducati monster...reminds me of when i went to the circus once and they had this clown riding a really little bike...**** that was funny...anyway i guess you had to be there...thers also some yanaha 600 but i did'nt mention it because it's a pretty crap bike...anyhoo good luck, shop wisely, peace out
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/

8. A good site with many bikes and specs is www.bikez.com.

A bike which matches your description would be Suzuki's SV650 or SV650S:
    • Dry weight of 165kg (for the '99 to '02 models) or 169kg for 2003 onwards.
    • Low seat height of 790mm for the '99 to '02/800mm for '03> (can be lowered further with suspension change or padding removal - it's a thick seat!).
    • Low centre of gravity in that it isn't a top-heavy bike, especially if you can pick one up with an after-market stainless exhaust system!
    • Most bikes will handle Oxford Hot Grips, including the SV
    • Not listed, but it's a sporty, torquey bike that sounds good, goes hard and is a barrel of fun!

You may also find other mid-size nakeds (and semi-fared bikes) to be up your alley, especially the Kawasaki ER-6n, FZ6, Z750 (although that's getting heavier), and Honda's Hornet 600 (also getting a bit heavier). There are some other nakeds out there too like the Ducati Monster - have a look around for some Naked 600cc bike reviews online. There are many!

9. Thanks Zeker - understand what you're saying - the reason I'm concerned about the weight is that a girlfriend of mine was talked into buying Suzuki GSX650F as her "moving on up bike" - result is that she's dropped it 8 times and cant pick it up - doesnt come with ogis and as a result has scratched the farings of this magnificent looking machine.She regrets buying such a heavy bike and was told that "weight doesnt matter" - b------t! But thankyou for the advice :)

10. thanks for the reply - as an amateur, am grateful for any advice

11. When I was on the ferry coming back from phillip island, a young man from Adelaide who was unfortunately void of grey matter, suggested I get the same as his bike - Honda CB400 - after sitting on it and feeling the weight, seat height and seat width, was convinced it was what i wanted but was turned off by the fact that apparently, they are phasing them out because of poor sales so parts etc would be through the roof - have you heard this?

12. ..used to ride a push bike until some idiot decided to ram me into a parked car--so you would think that a postie bike would be your logical next step?..please, thats as bad as a moped!

13. Hey Monkeyman....what sort of monkey are you? as for short fat chicks?...tell that to my fitness first clients - short..old..stubborn..yep! As for shopping? - HATE IT!....unless I'm out Keilor way at a certain motorcycle warehouse! And by the way, what's a "yanaha"..let me guess...you're Italian.

14. Cragv - thanks for the advice. Until I sat on a SV650 recently I didnt think the seat width would make much difference - how wrong I was - only concern is the age...'99 - '03 - we're talking retirement villages aren't we?

15. Hey Donna, you might want to consider quoting whoever you're replying to by clicking the 'MQ' button for each post. This will help keep the forum tidy, and will also make it clearer for your readers to know what you're replying to. You can click on MQ for as many posts in the thread as you like, and then the outcome looks like this:

CB400's are a good bike. Many have been made and some parts are often shared between different models. Any parts you might need would still likely be cheaper than those for the Euro badges like BMW and Moto Guzzi! Nothing wrong with buying a discontinued bike (if it's true) - especially not from a big Jap manufacturer like Honda!

Nothing wrong with a postie bike! They'd be great in city traffic!

Heh, I don't think so! Age of a bike is not that much of a factor - it's more about how its been looked after in its life. I also ride an FJ1200 (although not for much longer) which was made in 1987. Mechanically it is in tip-top shape - if I had to ride it to Perth starting this morning, there's not a single thing I'd have to do to prepare it. She's good to go!

The V-twin in the SV650/S range of bikes is a solid donk, too. Assuming it has been serviced regularly (and on time, especially changing the oil), it is not unusual to hear of owners getting 6-figures out of their bikes before major work is required.

Bikes deserve a bit more credit on the longevitiy side, honestly. It seems people think that if it has 40,000km on the clock it's done and used up - really, this often isn't the case!

16. drz400 sm and lower it. <150kg dry. can have hand warmers. if you lower it even shortarses can toot around on it comfortably. dont let the fact that its still lams put you off. power wheelies and curb hopping fun

17. :busting: shame. of the bikes ive had in the last 2 years. 93,87,03,01,98

none of them needed a hand feeding themselves, infact they enjoyed feeding on a few late model liter bikes around the boulevard every now and then.

but incontinance was a worry with one of them.