Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

moving off the scooter to a manual ;P GS 500

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by lucb, May 25, 2009.

1. G'day and thanks to the regulars for making this a great set of forums.
    Used them mercilessly over the past few months researching gear and bikes and whatnots.

Have been riding for a couple of years on the scooter and benefited from the automatic jump to blacks from the Ls for us older guys.. so am pretty good in traffic and enjoy the riding.

The scooter was fine but I could not really take it on the highway to visit my mum or have a giggle so it was time to bite the bullet and go manual or get the big fat scooter armchair. Well i still have some respect for myself so.. started looking at bikes again.

In the end got myself a second-hand GS 500 (naked/black) for the usual reasons that have been listed elsewhere time and time again.

Good starter, reliable, cheap to buy and plenty of parts (lots of etc...)

Then spent a fun few hours remembering how to use gears (that was "interesting") and am now getting comfy in the saddle again.

Went for my first highway run a couple of weekends ago (pre rain) up to Lake Macquarie from Sydney .. the swansea bends were fun ;P

So, all good.. and happy to be two-wheelin on the manual

Still have the scooter and can even use it when the wife is not using it but now using the GS 500 for the normal commute to work.

Basically wanted to tell the scooter riders that moving to a manual is not as big a deal as I thought and also say thanks to all the posters cause there is a goldmine of info in these posts..

cheers all
  2. Enjoy the GS and well done for teaching yourself gears :grin:
  3. Thanks.. still not 100% smooth every time but getting there
  4. Good onya lucbe...had mine now for 2 years good bike
  5. +1

'89 gs500 only year with clip on handlebars I believe :)