Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Moving from p1 to p2

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by osamabanana, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hey guys ive just spent a year on my p1's in nsw and am now ready to upgrade to my green p plates. I'm just wondering which test I have to do or whether I can just upgrade. The RTA site is very vague. If anybody knows it would be great.

Thanks

2. It's a direct upgrade from P1 to P2, as long as you've spent 12 months on your P1 licence [excluding any suspension period(s)]. Get it done ASAP before the RTA decides otherwise.

Enjoy your 11.11% speed boost.

3. Possible hazard perception test - the standard for the car i would think.
    Then again, maybe not? :D

Go there expecting it, and if it doesnt happen, all the better!

4. Rock up to the RTA and have your photo taken, simple as that.

I did it in December.

5. Let us know what the situation is.

The NSW model may become the national model.

6. You just pay the upgrade fee (which is $20 I think) and get a new photo taken. Think it's the same for P2 -> unrestricted.

7. If I recall it was closer to $78 for the new license.

Currently it's

Ls: 2 day training course then a driver/rider knowledge test (min 3 months, max 12 months)
    Red Ps: 1 day skill test (min 1 year, max 1.5 years)
    Green Ps: - (min 2 years, max 2.5 years)
    Fulls: -

All require a visit to the RTA once the requirements are met for a happy snap.

8. G'day Brad, thanks for that mate. What are the restrictions for each phase if you don't mind responding. Thanks mate.

9. Ls:
    -speed limit of 80
    -cannot take a pillion
    -cannot use any function of a phone
    -0 bac
    -cannot tow
    -LAMS bikes only
    -must show an l plate
    -license only 4 points, instant loss for a speeding offence.

p1
    -speed limit of 90
    -cannot take a pillion
    -0 bac
    -cannot tow
    -LAMS bikes only
    -must show a red p plate
    -must not ride a manual motorcycle if the test was done on an auto

p2
    -speed limit of 100
    -0 bac
    -cannot tow
    -LAMS bikes only
    -must show a green p plate
    -only 7 points on the license

tbh the only problem i have with the system atm is the lams on green ps - why are we allowed to take pillions but not ride faster bikes :mad:

10. Maybe because pillion restrictions on anything other than L's is a little silly.

Also, just quickly, you can tow on your green Ps!

11. Thanks Azama.

Ls: (3m - 12m)
    -speed limit of 80
    -cannot take a pillion
    -0 bac
    -cannot tow
    -LAMS bikes only
    -must show an l plate

p1 (12m - 18m)
    -speed limit of 90
    -cannot take a pillion
    -0 bac
    -cannot tow
    -LAMS bikes only
    -must show a red p plate
    -must not ride a manual motorcycle if the test was done on an auto

p2 (24m to 30m)
    -speed limit of 100
    -0 bac
    -cannot tow
    -LAMS bikes only
    -must show a green p plate
    -only 7 points on the license

Being stuck on a LAMS bike for between 3.25 to 5 years... strikes me as somewhat ridiculous.

What are the novice motorcycle stats looking like since the implementation of the restrictions?

12. so much better that an increase in CTP insurance for the vehicles typically ridden by novices was justified. Fairly sure the only difference in the stats (as most people living in the real world would expect) is that 18 year olds aren't so overrepresented in the crash/fatality stats now that they can't get on litremonsters for another 2 years. The only consolation (from where I'm standing) is that I'll have 12 points to play around with when I can get my full license because 3 years'll have passed.

Regardless though, the updated graduated scheme is less than 2 years old so none of the super riders have reached unrestricted licenses yet and all my strawman arguments in this post are invalid.

EDIT:

!!!!

13. Hang on a minute. When could an 18 year old get on a litre bike?

2 years should be enough to get an idea of how the novice crash rate has changed if anything. Wonder whether MCCofNSW has numbers??

14. Legally? Get Ls at 16 and 9 months. Need to hold Ls for min 3 months before going to red Ps, which you had to have for at least a year. All things considered I'd have a litrebike right now but the changes were effective about 3 days before I could go for Ps under the old scheme.

Thing is Rob, I'm not sure they were actually going for a better novice crash rate - I remember Nathan Rees touted uniform licensing schemes (ie 3 years of p's for cars/bikes) and more experienced people getting on the big bikes as reasons for the change.

15. Dont forget the concession for over 25 and full car licence means you skip P2.

16. Well, just got my green p's. Filled out the form, paid the $22 and rode away with 3 more points 10 minutes later.

17. They could get on a litre bike last year at 18. Get your Ls at 17, Ps in 3 months and you would have been off your Ps by the time you were still 18 easily.

The green Ps has only been in force since last year (in that whilst the scheme existed no one was actually on them yet), I would definitely say that any benefit (if it does) won't show in the stats for a few years.

There was a definite benefit shown in the stats when training was introduced and 250cc limit was introduced in the early 90s. Whether the benefit was from the training or the restriction is arguable, though it was probably a bit of both.

18. Hah, those points are worth nothing when the penalties are tripled for all P-platers*.

* might be wrong