Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Moving Bikes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cbr250rr boy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Hey, im moving to queensland from nsw, and i need to move two cbr250rr's there with me... I decided to put them both on a trailer but i'm not sure how to do this safely, neither have a centre stand, just the normal stand on the left hand side. :? Any Ideas???

2. Strap them down.
    make sure you compress the front suspension before tightening up the front straps though.

3. You can get bike specific tie downs for about $70 a set. There are 2 basic types.

Type 1 has a some loops of fabric that sit over the handle bar grips and a tube of fabric between them. The idea is that the tube stops them pulling off the bars when you pull down on the tie down bits. These are my preffered type for most larger bikes. Be aware that with some sports bikes with tall tanks and low bars the tube of fabric will be on the tank (which you don't want coz it'll scratch or mark it).

Type 2 is two seperate tie downs with extra clips and loops and they are meant to fasten up inside the front triple tree. These work well with trail bikes and lighter bikes but the angle of the tie downs isn't as wide and heavy tall bikes might need extra tie downs at the rear if these are used. These types can also foul the fairings near the front on some bikes.

Also be aware that some alloy clipons aren't as strong as they look, if you compress the forks very hard you may bend them. Normal bars on touring bikes are fine, and most sports/tourers also have heavier bars and are ok.

4. By compressing the front forks they mean getting on the bike and jumping forward to get the forks compressed as far as you can while tightening the straps. Believe me if you dont the result will be a bike being towed behind a trailer at high speed. I also use some rope as a secondary security measure. :wink: Everytime you stop, check it and if need be do it again 8)
    Dont forget the rear, that isnt as important but ya can never be too careful.

5. And then tighten the straps some more. You'll get better fork compressions by pulling on the straps than just pushing them down while sitting on it - probably around another 10cm or so.

6. you can get metal moulded things that sit over the tyres and you then feed the tie down ropes through them. that way you dont need to compress the suspension ;)

dont ask me where to get them but check out the local bike shop and they should know

7. You should be able to ask your local bike shop some advice with how to go abou it.....that would be my first course of action.

Also have a read of this and and this which may also help.

:D :D :D

8. TRUE, but if ya doing it on ya own it works and i forgot to add that. yes do what isaid then do what he said.

9. Is there anything wrong with hiring a bike spacific trailer? Some places you can drop off in other states

10. Why not just ride them there :p

Seriously, make sure you tie down the rear end or if you happen to hit something the bike/s could do the equivelent of a highside of itself which could damage the bike or the tow vehicle. This goes for hitting a bump or pot hole that could cause the two bikes to bounce into each other.

Rachet straps are better than the spring clip type as the rachets are less likely to work thier way loose over several hours of bouncing on a trailer.

11. Funny you should say that but I heard different from the guys who cart bikes around for a living. And the reasons that where given to me made sense. and have transported bikes since in our van with no problems.