Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Moving bike..

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Au55tn, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Hey everyone, did anyone hav difficulties reversing or moving their bike using their feet wen they first got them? does it get easier with practise?

2. it definately get easier and i suppose it also depends on how well you can reach the ground my sister still has problems parking hers after 18 months of riding

3. Depends on how strong your legs are and how much purchase your feet can get on the ground. The heavier the bike the harder it will be.

Why not get off the bike and push it?

4. Because thats the easiest way for this noob to drop the stupid thing. :roll:

:LOL:

5. how to push the bike from side?

6. I had a lot of trouble on mine at first and then recently I realised that after nearly a year, my feet are now flat foot on the bike, my knees are also bent and moving it has become infinitely easier than when I first got it. Probably depends a whole lot on the strength in your legs, the size/weight of your bike, how well you reach the ground when you're on it, and your suspension.

7. +1 big time.
    It does get easier, just take it easy. You can drop it just as easy while your sitting on it if your fett slip out.

8. I wasn't big nor was I old enough to push a bike when I first got my feet :rofl:

9. I have found you need fairly flat and level ground to move a bike while sitting on it and I'm a big SOB. I use my left hand on the left bar and right hand on the grab rail. Weight is not a problem if you stand the bike up and you are less likely to slip when standing.

10. Personally, I feel just as unco now as when I first started back in November... I blame that on me being so short.

Where more precision etc is required, I prefer to get off the bike to move it around... I think I'm LESS likely to drop it that way (because then the whole 'balance' thing is taken out of the equation).

11. thanks for the tips guys....im quiet short (167cm) and im on the balls of my feet so i guess that could make things harder

12. Bloody oath Au55tn.

Why not lower it an inch?

13. Boots help. Can give u an extra cm too :grin: :grin:

14. Now why didnt I think of it. Good idea Natta! 653.

300_275_ha3.

15. a trick that i use if I am trying to walk it backwards up a hill is to, while you're on the bike, have your hand on the front brake and sort of bounce it off the front brake as you push backwards with both feet on the ground. Of course you should try not to get into this situation but hey it happens.

And I agree with MG, standing by it and moving it is the quickest way to drop it.

16. A mate of mine at 160cm and 55kg's parked his brand new XVS1100s nose first into the gutter. Walked out after paying the insurance on it and couldnt back it out of the spot and had to summon help :!: How embarrassing with 150k on the clock. Guess how he parks it now if he cant get it onto the footpath :?:

EDIT: And now he's looking at a HD Road King!!!!

17. One thing you can do is concentrate on not pushing up as you try to push back. I used to find myself doing that, putting a lot of vertical load on my feet as I walked the bike around. If you do that, teh suspension rises, you get more out of balance and it all goes downhill fast!
    You'll also get beter at judging where and how to park the bike so you can ride away forwards only. All just practice.

Regards, Andrew.

18. Great idea! :LOL:

+1 :p

19. It's all in the strength of your legs. Hit the gym!

I'm 170cm tall and can only flat foot it if the ground is uneven. If it is completely flat on both sides I can tippy, or lean and get one foot flat. When pushing it backwards it's all in the legs.

20. Two suggestions...

1. Don't park so that you need to reverse it up a slope!
    I thought this would be obvious but apparently it needs to be said. This includes when parking diagonally next to a gutter you should reverse into it and leave the back wheel in the gutter.

2. Learn to spin your bike on it's side stand.
    Easiest way to get out of a tight situation is to be able to point the bike in the direction of easy 'escape'. At ~75kg i can easily spin my ~225kg 1000cc old-school sports bike to get it out of a tight spot. In terms of doing the same with a 250cc bike it's like wheeling about a mountain bike!