Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Moving at slow speeds

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jfiddy, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Hi Guys,

Just looking for some advice here:

I'm still learning to ride and am feeling pretty confident but I seem to have trouble at slow speeds when I'm just pushing the bike on foot into the garage or into parking spaces.

I'd consider myself a pretty fit guy but pushing my Kawa 250R around has been... tricky at times.

Any help?
  2. Like Thera said.

In these spots where you're pushing the bike, are you able to get it in there by sitting on the bike and walking it in that way? I think this way is the least likely way to drop your bike. If you want to stand next to it and push it around, don't get complacent. I did a few weeks ago, caught it just before it hit the deck and yanked it back upright with one arm.
  3. You have to really muscle the thing around, keeping your upper bodt taught, and keep your hand over the front brake in case. Always lean it into your body, NOT away, roughly where your hip joint is touching the seat.
    If you want to see exactly how to do it, really quickly, go to any bike store at closing time and watch them wheels all the bikes in. :wink:
  4. :WStupid:
  5. +1
    Good thread there.
    Oh .. and remember.. when walking the bike NEVER apply the front brake unless the front wheel as it straight ahead position.
  6. Pretty much what everyone has rightly said here already, but:
    - When you apply the front brake to stop the bike, apply it gently! Get the bike to a gentle stop, dont just yank the front brake.

Practice makes perfect; the bike will feel heavy the first few times, but over time you'll get it. When the bike is relatively upright, its fairly light to move around.