Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from Tyres} Suggestions on a sports tyre for a 600

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by zx9er, May 23, 2014.

1. G'day,

I'm looking for a sports tyre for a zzr600. I'd like top grip for weekend twisties and a nice twisty commute and I also do the occasional track day. My commute to work isn't the typical freeway rear tyre squaring bore. I probably only use the bike once or twice a fortnight to get to work and when I do use it there's some nice twisties.

I've had some great michelins over the years and will probably stick with them. I don't want a full road touring tyre as I love the feel and confidence of a sports tyre. Having said that I don't want a full track day tyre either.

Do you think the michelin pilot power would be a good choice? I think the pilot pure was meant to be a good one too.

My dimensions are 120/60 zr17, rear 160/60 zr17

I'm open to suggestions from other brands as well.
  2. Bridgestone S20, amazing tyre for road use and the odd track day
    • Like Like x 2
  3. What does DRC mean?
  4. Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa
  5. I've got Diablo Rosso Corsa's on my street triple. Grip is really good. The rear has about 4500km on it and is down to about 2-3mm off the tread wear indicators. I'm guessing about about 6000km before change over.
  6. $480 sound like a good price for a pair of Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa?
  7. That's a fair price IMO, especially if it includes fitting.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Dunlop Sportmax Q3
  9. Got the Michelin Pilot Power 3 on my Z1000 and its the best tyre Ive been on to date, (which by the way isn't very many).
    Did the Advanced course at Eastern Creek which included a 20min free session and had no dramas with them whatsoever.
    Highly recommend.
  10. New s20 evo
  11. I just looked up the s20evo and it doesn't appear to come in the size 120/60
  12. #13 RRdevil, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    Why are you running a 120/60
  13. It's the tyre size listed in the service manual for my bike
  14. Try the 120/70
  15. Yes get the 120/70 unless you like it handling like a bus
  16. #17 danny_tb, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
    WRONG! The 120/70 will change the geometry of the bike by raising the front axle height, effectively increasing the rake angle, making the bike handle MORE like a bus (harder to get it to turn)!

You couldn't have been more wrong! If you don't know about motorcycle dynamics, DO NOT comment as if you do! Jeez fcuking Louise! You would've had him wondering why the bike didn't want to tip into corners! (n)

To the OP: If the handbook says 120/60, try to find a suitable 120/60. If you can't find one, you'll need to use a 120/70, AND raise the fork tubes through the triple clamps (by around 12mm if I remember correctly - not a small amount - half the difference in tyre total diameter - a 120/70 is significantly larger than a 120/60), returning the bike to the correct geometry. However, care must be taken to ensure that you don't raise the forks far enough to ram your fork dust seals into the bottom tripple clamp when the fork is bottomed out (ie: you might not be able to raise the forks the full amount, so your geometry might not ever be fully restored).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Most likely better to find a shim for the rear shock
  18. Which then changes the rear geometry. This could be for the better or worse, but without understanding what the change does, you could be turning the bike into a pig. In this case, the bike will be more likely to wheelie than stock. This could be an acceptable compromise, or maybe not. It will certainly raise the ride height, which might make the bike too tall for the rider.
  19. No if it is set correctly it will offset the change in trail and rake angle. Sure ground clearance will be slightly altered also