Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from Riding Tips} Temporary Bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by nick1234, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hi,

I just ordered a new bike (Hyosung GV650 Classic Cruiser) yesterday, but today the dealer informs me that only white ones are available, and the red one I want will be ready mid-to-late February. This is due to Hyosung trying to get rid of old stock before releasing the new 2014 models.

I still want to get it, the bike looks great, the best of all the lams cruisers, and I have heard nothing but good about this particular dealer. So far, they have been great to deal with. So please don't suggest getting something else, or going to a different dealer.

I am going for my L's test on Friday. I am in Victoria.

Just wondering 2 things:

1)What sort of bike (cheapish) would be good to buy second hand with the view of selling it in a few months, without loosing too much money? Dont care what type. The cheaper the better, but lets set a budget of, say, $5000 max, but only on a bike that wont loose much value, even if it does 1000's of km's in this time. (I will buy all required safety gear too, but that's not in this budget).

2) Apart from rego and insurance (insurance I should get back i think, or just pay monthly, I will ask RACV first), am i missing any expenses that would be involved in doing this?

I live in the country, and most of the riding will be at high speed on rural roads, so i don't want anything too gutless, but it obviously needs to be learner approved. And I use plenty of gravel and dirt roads, so something not completely hopeless on them would be required. I would certainly consider a road registerable dirt-bike. While i dont plan to drop it, something that wont easily damage might be good for this temporary bike.

My motorbike riding experience consists only of riding the farm bikes a fair bit over many years from a young age.

I am going to talk to the dealer tomorrow, and see if they have anything second hand.

2. Hey mate awesome first bike , I had 2 of the Aquila model and loved them. Why not just buy the same bike second hand? If not I would say a ninja 300 would prob be easier to sell in a few months as they are hot at the moment. By the way u will have to hire a bike for your most test as u will never pass it on your gv650 , cheers