Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from Riding Tips} Good first bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Cameroonie, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Hi Guys!

First time poster here, been reading for a while.

Found myself getting caught up in the whole "moto vlogging" watching youtubers such as Ham, AJ etc.. has really ignited my spark for wanting to get a bike and learn to ride. I've always been interested and have never actually done it but I feel like now is a good time.

I don't want to spend much, but, I want to be safe and if that comes at a cost then so be it.

A few things about me...

5 ft 11
    Driving for 5 years
    Will be riding mainly around Newcaslte (to start with)
    Not riding to commute, just for fun.

Can anybody push me in the direction of a good first bike? I really like the Suzuki Intruders but have no idea if they are good or not.

Thoughts on brands such as Daelim & CF Moto?

ESSENTIAL gear and recommended extra PPE/gear to stay safe.

Look forward to hearing from you all!
  2. SORRY! Thread posted now :)

It will be casual riding, won't be commuting to work, will mainly just be for fun on the weekends or after work sort of thing. Eventually I'd like to maybe travel to Sydney every now and then on the bike instead of driving but I'm happy either way.

As for budget, I'd like to be around the $4k - $5k (total) mark but as I said, if I need to spend more then so be it. It's something I'm really excited to learn about.

3. arDaelim is getting decent reviews in the scooter market. If that applies to teh motorcycl market it is unknown. They certainly arent a big player, which would cause issues in parts maybe.

The Hyosung might be worth a look, even though it is maligned here.

4. Kawasaki 650rl
    Honda cb400
  5. Well, Honda's VTR250, CB400, and Suzuki's GS500 are pretty solid options that are pretty easy to come by (for exactly that reason :p). You may be a little heavy for the VTR, though , and you'd definitely want to upgrade a GS' suspension (mainly the forks, which aren't great for anyone and are fairly cheap and easy to do).

Since you have some height, I'll also chuck in Suzuki's DR650 and DRZ400, and Kawasaki's KLR650. They're something a little different, and open up some possibilities you wouldn't have with a completely road-focused bike.

At the end of the day, it is a personal thing, though. These should all be considered suggestions for shortlisting, rather than the basis of your choice.

In the way of gear, don't skimp on your helmet or gloves; hands and heads are easy to screw up and often cop abuse in a crash. They also need to fit you well, so try on all the options before you narrow things down.

A decent textile jacket should keep your skin on well enough at any road-legal speed, same goes for pants (even kevlar jeans are enough, though they lack impact protection). Boots should be obvious enough.

All up, budget about a grand for gear.
  6. Thanks mate - really helpful!

Who else wants to add to my short list? Would you say no to a cruiser as a first bike?
  7. This is a pretty anti cruiser forum so
  8. In my limited experience, $4-5 grand ain't much. There are other expenses involved with getting a bike like helmet and clothing, insurance and registration, potentially a roadworthy and your training. They could easily add another grand or 2 to your budget.