Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from Riding Tips} First bike (cruiser options)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Compleks, May 28, 2014.

1. Evening all.

I just recently got my learners permit, better late than never.
    Really enjoyed the course and am looking forward to learning more and getting my first bike.

I'm after something Learner appropriate, and would prefer something of a cruiser style bike that will last me a while.

I have heard good things about the Yamaha XVS 400 /and/ 650.
    I have also heard a few people mention that a Honda Shadow (VT.or.VLX) is a good alternative.

Anyway. My knowledge on bikes is very limited.
    My budget would be around the $5.k mark.

Any input and advice is more that welcome.
    Thanks everyone.
  2. I bought a Yamaha Virago 250 as that was what was allowed in WA at the time. I would get a 650 if I could. Vstar or maybe suzuki, then you won't have hassles with breakdowns etc.
  3. There's some similar 1st bike queries on here. Have a read through them.
    My 1st bike was a XVS650 custom after riding my partners 250 Virago for a few months. The Virago was much too slow but I loved the 650.
    Have a read of the cruiser forum. There's lots of guys still riding the 650's that could have changed up.
  4. I'm enjoying the other thread.
    But how about one for the budget conscious.

Would like to see what sort of cruiser you guys would get if you only had $6k to spend.

5. Probably something like the one I have. Though probably bigger cc as being a big LAMS cruiser seems to keep the prices up.