Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from Politics} Written off vehicle purchase tender

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Stripeh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. So, as the title suggests, I have the opportunity to purchase a vehicle that has been written off for frame scratches. Sure, it can't be re-registered in NSW, but instant track bike!
    So does anyone know what sort of offer I should make? I don't have access to the salvage estimate. If my tender is less than the salvage estimate, it will go to auction.

The bike in question is an Aprilia Tuono V4R 2013. New they currently sell for ~$20000, used, I've seen ~$16,000

I'd love to lowball them at $4000, but I think their estimate might be higher.
  2. The bike is worth what someone will pay for it (duh), which I'd imagine is approx what close to what the remaining useful parts could be resold for - wheels, forks, brakes, engine/harness, shock, etc, some plastics or what value somebody sees in it as a track/race bike e.g. FX nakeds. Risk is you under bid and it goes to auction and you lose, or you overbid and you lose. So is there anything wrong with simply asking them what their salvage value is and making an informed decision? I'd guess they are chasing 7-10K, I'd say it's worth prob that as a track bike to someone, and a bit less in parts.
  3. They say they can't reveal their salvage estimate, which I suppose is fair, since if I come in higher, it's mine. I'm thinking 5k I wouldn't be too sad about, 6k might hurt, but be more likely.
  4. I think they will be looking for 40% to 50% recovery so Richie is probably near the mark.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It's pretty simple, what it's worth to you is what you bid. If you get it you're happy if you don't you move on and aren't left wondering, at least that's how I see it. If I didn't really care either way I'd go in low and grin if I won it.
    • Like Like x 1