Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from Modifications} Pros and cons of oggy knobs

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by maduncle, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I am keen to hear the learned opinions on adding crash knobs or sliders or other such protection to a fully faired bike if you plan to use it on a race track.

I do plan to run the Triumph TT600 at Broadford a few times and maybe Philip Island if the opportunity arises - but also keep it as my road bike (for now).

I first thought I should add crash knobs (Oggie or otherwise) to minimise fairing damage if I do drop it - but today I was told that these are good for low speed drops, but anything over 40km/h and the crash knobs can actually do more damage to a bike, even contribute to it flipping.

So what's the story on knobs? Worth fitting for track day fairing protection or steer clear of them and wear the damage if it occurs?

Also - whilst I will be removing the mirrors and taping up lights and indicators on the day, what else can I do to track prep my road bike?

As always, all theories, opinions and advice welcome!
  2. As you said, some people say that they can dig into the ground once the bike slides off track and flip the bike, or bend the frame at the attachment point. Pros are that if you come off at low speed, or drop at no speed, itll reduce the damage to your very expensive oem fairings. Ive got the same dilemma, took the 954 to the track and foresee many more to come. Best move would be to buy a dedicated track bike, second best to buy some track fairings and take it a little easier. I wouldnt treat the oggys as an insurance policy.

At broadford taping mirrors and headlight is all that is required, other than the bike passing scruitineering, for them to allow it on the track. Maybe tape up wheel weights as well, and make sure the bike is in rwc, ie: chain slack, fork seals, plenty of tire left, pads have plenty of meat.
  3. IME they're good for a stationary, maybe walking pace drop, anything faster and they cause more damage than they prevent.
  4. Thanks - also asked a guy at the Peter Stephens Ringwood studs today and he said the same thing, they recommend them to newbies to protect the fairing in a stationary or parking drop, but they can flip a bike in a high speed drop.
  5. They can help at any speed... This guy came off at 140km/h and ground it right down. Would depends on the bike I guess.

6. Maduncle better off investing in gb racing covers for the clutch and crank case. They also do bar ends etc. Plastics cam be repaired or replaced but major oil loss through wearing through a crank cover can destroy the engine
  7. Good point - I have seen those so I should see if there are any made for a 2001 TT600.
  8. I've crashed race bikes many times at Broadford, Winton and Phillip Island. Frame mounted crash knobs have saved damage to fuel tanks, frames and some engine parts in every single instance. Not once has the bike flipped over.
  9. Thanks - that's good to know. Not that you have crashed I mean - but that crash knobs are worth fitting.
  10. Zoom in on the 'no cut' ozzy knob.

This is from a low side at broadford which, when it hit the gravel trap it decided it wanted to flip the bike several times
    Damage to tank and fairings.
    Both Ozzy knobs peeled like can openers....

Since this crash i decide to keep the frame sliders. But i went the Woodcraft 'cut' sliders route, and i have had another low side since and the bike has fared much better.

By putting the pressure of the 'drop' directly onto the Engine bolt is alot better than a piece of metal which can dent your frame.

- case savers (minimum)

my 2c.
  11. #11 maduncle, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    Thanks - I have been surfing the web to find some case savers for my 2001 Triumph TT600 but so far no good. I have found LSL frame sliders and the adaptor kit to suit my bike - but there does not seem to be a hell of a lot of track gear around for my old bike. Pity - 'cos these TT600's are so cheap and may make good track bikes (won't know really until I try it out at Broadford on the 28th).