Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from Law} NRMA wants cars in bus lanes

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tony749, May 27, 2013.

1. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-for-packed-cars/story-e6frg6n6-1226650930845

My cynical side says, as soon as any cars are allowed in bus lanes enforcement becomes much more difficult and cagers know it. Given the enthusiastic way Sydney residents shun car pooling and fill the T2 and T3's with single occupant vehicles, I have no confidence that bus lanes will not suffer the same fate.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It's no longer a bus lane then is it?
  3. Correct, it's a T4. The bus lane cameras will be useless.
  4. Gut says don't give cars a free kick, but head says it's under-used real estate. Having tried car pooling once I don't think it's going to cause a flood of cars blocking everything else.
    Enforcement wise, it's money for very little effort if Melbourne freeways are anything to go by.
  5. I don't see this being a problem, it's a rare thing to see vehicles in peak hour conditions with more than 2 people in them.. it would reduce traffic congestion with little to no cost, however, enforcing it diligently would be difficult.
  6. Just get rid of bus lanes unless there in the actual city. The things are useless and do more bad than good. The buses are stuck up the road in traffic waiting before they get to the bus lane anyway. Just stupid shit introduced once again.
  7. I can see a market for blow up dolls.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The government in Brisbane has pulled out T2 lanes on the Pacific Motorway, saying that after many years they proved ineffective at encouraging car pooling.
  9. yes, but we're talking about the roads here.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Just make them T lanes.
    My ex actually did that - took a blow-up doll in the car when using a T lane. She was going to pretend it was real if she was pulled over. Bit of a Nutter anyway.

Maybe if they put reverse tolls on T lanes where you get credit on Rego or Tolls on roads with T lanes with a lesser Toll for using the T then the hip pocket might encourage more to use them.
  11. T lanes in Sydney are useless. Cagers use them for overflow parking as soon as the traffic lanes queue back more than 100m.
  12. lol. I remember when they put the 24hour T2 lane on the M4 that wasn't even the whole length of the M4. Total waste of money as the trip using the T2 (even when single drivers didn't use it) when it existed was the same as when they got rid of it. The worst thing they did was get rid of the toll. It's funny how getting rid of the toll made the traffic worse.