Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from General} Where to buy a good CT110 in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by UncleMurphy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Hi guys & girls,

As the title suggests, I'm looking at purchasing a good condition and recent model (2008+) Honda CT110 Postie bike.

The normal avenues such as eBay and Gumtree have been explored with some very horrendous and optimistic asking prices:(

I've also tried giving my contact details to a local Postie, but have also heard auctions run once in a while through Pickles. As I understand, the latest model is the 2010 CT110 (with them having a 3 year working life). Would this be a better avenue to go through?

I have inspected a few CT90s which came with Low Range Gearboxes but they are far too old and unreliable for my liking.

If anyone knows someone who is selling a good condition Postie (preferably with rego) that would be great. It just seems the demand for these bikes seems quite high.

Thanks all,

2. I can see the attraction of a CT, but I think the prices they go for are OTT for what they are, probably better value to be had in a CB 125, Sachs Madass or similar.
  3. #5 Vertical C, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    I wouldnt buy from the auctions at the moment, auspost has been keeping them for longer than before because they expected to have the new bikes in by now, but they are having issues so they are running them longer.

Auspost work gives them a hard life as they are generally ridden close to oferweight. That cant be good flr a bike.

A cb125 wwould be a better bet.
  4. Possibly so, but, unlike a postie bike, you can't ride them on the nature strip. ;)
  5. There's a r15 on gum tree for $1600
  6. You can't do that unless you are an Australia Post employee, they wrote the exemption for the rider not the bike.
  7. #9 CrazyCam, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

I've already got the white Nolan open face helmet, and some hi-vis gear.

I was SO looking forward to buying a postie bike and riding the nature strips and footpaths. ;)

BTW, the OP specifically wanted a postie bike because there isn't a clutch cable to lube.... or words to that effect.
  8. Must be employed by AP, must not exceed 15km/hour.

My wife did a brief stint as a postie and had to keep reminding herself not to take the V-Star on the footpaths after work.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Suggestions:
    1. Regarding the deal, you probably need to look at a few to see what you should get for the money in terms of condition, but it seems to be in the ballpark. Just remember that any registered CT110 will have started life with AusPost and received a flogging. The fact that they still go after that does indicate a fairly bulletproof design.
    2. Regarding the trip home, just check the oil, start it up and head south! I'd allow plenty of time and take side roads where possible, freeways will be daunting with the relative speed of other traffic. One has been riden from Brisbane to London, so its doable.
    3. Unless you have a physical condition stopping you using a clutch, then a small commuter might be a great way to expand your skill set and learn to use it. A cheap bike that was bought as someones pride and joy will likely be far better value for money (ie. not flogged mercilessly) than a postie. The CT has developed a sort of cult following (and I get that, they are fun) but that means that in terms of what you get in a motorcycle they are overpriced compared to other small bikes in the market.
  10. Posties need rebuilds at 40000kms generally. If you are just going to tool around on it for a bit then sell it way short of that you probably will do ok. If you plan to do a lot of kms there are a lot of better cheaper bikes.

Riding from Newcastle will just take time. Posties will only cruise at 70kmh but will do it all day. People have ridden them to London.
  11. You wont find many atm as the others have said - the replacements have had fuel pump and brake cable recalls... then someone complained they were the wrong colour -_-
    Mine has been drinking oil since 28k, almost at 34k atm. Check the chain and brakes on a fresh ex-post one if you do find one, and expect the mirrors and lenses to be stripped when sold... Apparently we keep those?
  12. You could also look for SYM Symba, which is a slightly updated version of Honda Cub. Don't be concerned about quality, SYM are a Taiwanese company, not from mainland China. Besides, they are the guys who manufactured a few million of original Cubs for Honda in the first place...

They might not be quite as robust as the postie, but then again they likely wouldn't be abused anywhere near as much either.
  13. Hi there mate I'd highly suggest something like the CBR125, CB125 or R15. I was a postie for a year and the little CT110's are quite limited. Average top speed was about 70km/h loaded but I once had her up to 92km/h... literally downhill with a tailwind. That's the most scared I've been on a bike, ever.

The CBR125's are easy for any motorcycling test and are physically small both in wheelbase and weight so handle well and are easy to manoeuvre. They have a top speed around the 120kmh mark and will cruise easily at ring-road speeds of 80~90kmh. They will do 100kmh but are a bit pushed at that speed. Fuel economy is awesome (2.5~3L/100km) and they feel like you're riding a motorcycle as opposed to a scooter.

They pop up cheap on gumtree and ebay and also aren't dear new. Most have been ridden by learners and have low kays and not much wrong apart from the occasional drop and perhaps a few bad-taste decals.

Cheers - boingk
    • Like Like x 1