Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from General} Scraped my boot

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by O Rappa, Aug 23, 2013.

1. The title says it all I guess...after about 15 months of riding.

It was nice, I took a right turn and decided to put a little bit more lean in. I wasn't trying to lean crazy or scrape or anything but managed to scrape my boot. It was a little bit of a shock at first but then smiling time :)

2. I'm glad you had boots on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. now try the pegs

4. Not lecturing, but when you start to corner a little more enthusiastically, shift your feet back on the pegs, so that your toes and balls of your feet are comfortably placed. Also keep your feet tucked in against the engine. This should stop any more surprises, and if you should happen to corner really enthusiastically, potentially stop getting the bike really unsettled, enough to cause a drop.

5. +1

its not hard to scrape a boot after you get over how much your leaning & especially if you sit your arches over the pegs

but it does put you off, as in you think your leaning a lot when your not, so best to avoid it

6. #6 dima, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    I have scraped the foot pegs a fair bit. Never scraped the boots.

Foot pegs do fold up when they touch down. Your feet - not so much.
    Scraping the boot will destabilise your foot position on the peg.

Ride on the balls of your feet, that'll help scraping the pegs instead of boots.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only imagine the boots being scraped at very extreme lean angles when rider is hanging off and the foot is on the edge of the footpeg to be able to open up his legs.
    That's why the boot sliders are where they are.

Disclaimer (as it seems to be required on this forum): I'm a noob and don't know what I'm talking about.

7. Awesome tips guys, thanks! I had my feet being lazy and dangling off the pegs so they were lower than normal I guess, hence the surprise.

8. I love grinding chamfers on boots, pegs, stands, pipes, panniers and anything else I can get to touch down. I'd probably do fairing lowers too but I've never owned a bike that still had any. It's huge fun and not particularly risky if you sneak up on it gradually. We'll disregard the occasion I dropped a solid footpeg into a pothole :eek:.

9. i scraped my boots on my first trackday (CSS), trainer told me it was cause my feet were not positioned properly. As mentioned above, when cornering at speed you should have the ball of your toes on the pegs not your heels. Haven't scraped my boots since changing my foot position. Of course different bikes have different riding positions and you will be more likely to scrape your boots on some bikes than others.