Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from General} Possible to commute on a cruiser?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by chmaiden, Jan 2, 2013.

1. G'day all

I was looking at getting a new bike (I sold mine (my first after passing my test aged 38!!!) a couple of years ago after a couple of near misses and having to drop it to stop going over a taxi bonnet that decided to do an "emergency left turn"! I wanted something with a bit of oomph but not too much so I was looking at a Suzuki Boulevard m50 or something similar. I will ride it at weekends mainly for a bit of a cruise, but also to commute every now and then (like today in Melbourne - bewdy weather!) into the CBD from about 25km out.

what are peoples experiences of commuting on a "bigger" bike - do i take it that it is basically just a car on 2 wheels? thoughts?

Also, I've got about $6k prob - is this a reasonable budget to get back up a running for the bike?

2. you can commute on anything - some bikes are easier than others to manouver but doens mean you cant do it.

work out where & when you will be riding, what you want looks wise and then buy acordingly

my nightrod is definitely not a commuter but I generally ride it once or twice a fortnight to work and it does fine

3. I commute on a kwaka 1600 nomad which has crash bars to wrap lower screen around and a windscreen all removable in 5 mins on great sunny days and great in crap weather :)

4. ditto to what cougs said, you can commute on anything, you just have to be confident in the machine, and your ability.

a couple of things to take into account, though

Do you have to carry gear for work, and if so how will you transport it (panniers, etc??)?

Can you park your bike securely at work?

5. I'm pretty lucky re stuff for work - its all casual in the office (tech start up!). Re confidence - would obviously need to get that back before commuting. I wouldnt do it in the rain (thats what the car and train are for!), can stick it on the pavement/on road bike spaces in melbourne, riding in rush hour up the freeway then into the CBD. It used to put a smile on my face, but it also used to scre me being very risk averse.

6. Well from one tech to another 2 panniers and a 55litre top case can carry everything you need ;)

7. I used to turn my nose up at cruisers but for a number of reasons I ended up with one. Now I wouldn't be without it. 25 Ks into Melbourne on a cruiser would be great, touring on weekends on a cruiser would be terrific. The hardest thing I found was getting used to not laying the bike over too far on sharp corners. In and around the city a light 250 road bike would be better but a cruiser certainly is fine just not optimum.

8. I've commuted on the M109, no panniers though just a 30litre Kriega back strapped to the pillion seat. Filtering is not a problem even with engine/crash bars fitted.
    I found filtering more of an issue on my Z1000 because it had an inline 4 and felt quite wide.
    I wouldn't do it every day but 35K's from Mona Vale to Sydney CBD wasn't too much hassle a few days a week.

9. I've filtered a couple of times in Perth on my Yamaha Vstar 1100, which is not a particularly thin bike. I had no issues with it.

10. you do know that you asked the question out loud ..

11. I just did it for the first time today on my VStar 650 - 70km round trip from Croydon to Melbourne CBD and back on the Eastern Freeway - so it's definitely possible. Was it pleasant? I'd have to say I'd have felt more comfortable in the city on something taller, thinner and more agile, but it was still better than doing it in a car, and I reckon I shaved a few minutes off the trip and will no doubt get better with more practice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Good on ya, now start filtering like a MoFo.

13. All you can do on a Cruiser is commute !

Oh yeah Shimmey !!

14. Hmm. Complete side note - if confidence is an issue (understandly, a crash will do that to you) you may want to reserve some of your budget for something like an intermediate bike course, track day, CSS level one or similar where you can hire a bike for the day. Means you get to jump back on a hire bike, in a controled environment, before you start shelling out bigger $$$s for yours.

As far as commuting - I'm a daily all weather commuter and the only time I'm not on the bike is when its getting serviced. I've commuted on a VTR250, GS500 and currently a tiger 1050 (which some class as a biggish bike). Never had an issue commuting with any of them, you just adapt your style to take advantage of the positive and mitigate the negatives. The VTR struggled with accelaration sometimes with my 110kg self on board, but was awesome for flicking around through gaps so I had more options to compensate for the lack of urge. OTOH the tiger has lovely smooth power and torque and high seating position, so I use that to make up for the fact that it needs slightly bigger gaps.

Admittedly, neither of these is a cruiser - but the point re playing to the strengths of each bike type still holds true I hope.

Adaptability is a good thing - keeps life interesting.

15. Cheers all - good thinking davo re the course - will have a look a that now![DOUBLEPOST=1357114915,1357114102][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone got any recommendations? I did my learnera at hart in Melbourne and licence at rider bros

16. Commuted for a year on a m50, 20,000 klm.
    Then 4 years on a M109. Significant klms
    Now a year on a ducati 1100, 10,000 in a year.

Before that, many other bikes.
    Just do it. Btw, had a ventura rack on all bikes. 46 litre bag on top, too easy.

17. I used to commute almost daily on my Shadow, but now I am forced to just ride it for fun cause I'm RETIRED.... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :LOL:

• Like Like x 3
  18. too wide. can get stuck in traffic. defeats the purpose of owning a motorbike.

oh wait...

19. I commute 55klm each way everyday from Mooroolbark to South Melbourne on a Suzuki M109R Boulevard. Works for me!