Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from General} GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Alasdair86, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Good evening everybody. This also applies to anyone who started on something bigger than a 250 for their first bike. Just curious to see what people got after they traded in their GS500/Fs, and where there any regrets or huge thumbs up with the experience from the 'new' bike and so on. I'm happy enough with my GS500F (when it is working - hopefully an easy fix tomorrow at the dealership) but have a sneaky 7 grand or so in the bank doing nothing in particular and probably can't be trusted once I'm off my P's, which I am doing next weekend, and by that time it'll probably be about 10 if I'm saving like I am now. Love to hear what you got, how long you've had it for, and what initially drew you towards that make and model.

2. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

Oh and I'm not really asking for recommendations, more your experiences. My 3 favorite bikes are Bonnieville, Hayabusa and Streetfighter 1098s so I'm pretty diverse in my interests. I wouldn't really go a cruiser though, as whilst I think they look great I like agility

3. I went from a GS500 to a Z750, which was good but a bit slow, so I bought a blackbird. Now I'm happy :)

4. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

On the gs500f (bought new) during L's and 12 months of LAMS restrictions, I covered 32,000k and it helped me determine what type of bike would suit the type of riding I would be doing..
    The GS never missed a beat and I would recommend it as a first bike to anyone..

Love the long stuff with just a little gravel here and there so comfort and economy was main priority so ended up with the Yamaha TDM900...
    No regrets after nearly 35,000k as it's an all rounder and although not the perfect bike for any one particular thing, very very good at most and it's not afraid of the twisties even though it looks (but it's not) a little top heavy..

Although not for a while as I still smile when I ride it, will probably change it one day for something like the Triumph 1200 Explorer or similar with a shaft drive because I'm getting lazy adjusting chains... :p

5. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

I went from a GS500 to a Z750, which was good but a bit slow and didn't have ABS which I decided I wanted, so I bought a Z1000SX. Now I'm happy too :)

Counterpoint though, neither of my Kwakas are as fuel efficient as my GS500 was. With great power comes great consumability.

6. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

:rofl:

I'm so with you on that. I'd love to get the next generation Tiger 1200, once they've ironed out any bugs with the first gen. Mmmm triple. Mmmm shaft drive. Mmmm 16,000km servicing intervals.

7. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

Went from a GS500 to a Harley 48 and a GS500. Love the Harley, just a fun little bike and enjoying modifying it a bit. Still got the GS because it got range and is good for a run with the sports bikes.

8. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

I went from a GS500F to a Suzuki Bandit 1250s to a Yamaha FJR1300.

Do like the idea of a Shaft Drive Triumph too. 16000k service and shaft works for me. Live on a dirt road so shaft drive is a plus. I do 800k+ a week so long service intervals appeal. Now just need $21k.

9. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

I went from the GS500f to the Ducati 848. Bought it because of the handling, power, looks and the sound mmmm the sound!! Get the streetfighter they are great fun

10. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

Went from a GS500F to a Triumph Sprint ST. Wanted something that would a) make a good commuter, b) be fun for day trips in the twisties, c) would eat up the km's for touring.

Was going to sell the GS500, but ended up keeping it as a commuter so that the trumpy would not get damaged from the scooter riders, plus I had my first sprint stolen from work.

11. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

I'm about 99.9% sure I will be trading my GS500 in for a GSR750 in a few months... looks, power, economy depends on you I spose and sound (with a good pipe) sitting up and price.

12. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

Wow thanks for the responses, it's been interesting reading. I'm a bit surprised the Z750s felt they lacked power, I appreciate that they would be obviously stronger than a GS500F but I would have thought a 750 would have been bang on perfect as a capacity. Love to hear how the GSR750 goes. I get the Blackbird thing; a guy at work went straight from a Spada to a Blackbird and wasn't too intimidated because of the way he rides, using torque and shifting early (which is what I do, though I am the slowest bike on the roads for sure) and they are definately in budget, having seen a few from about 6 grand. And something like a TDM or even a V-Strom would seems perfect for me, but I want a bit more agility than what I have already. Just incidentally, bought a pushie today and gave the nod to a group of about 7 riders in St Kilda forgetting what I was on. Wow I felt like a berk

13. I am about to trade my 2009 GS500F for a 2011 Gixxer 600.

Why ?
    I have always wanted a super sports and this was the bike that suited my riding position. Not being a tall fella the Gixxer has the lowest seat height of the 600's and also has a shorter distance to the bars.

The 2011 Gixxer is also lighter and shorter than previous models plus as the Brembo brake calipers.

People have asked 'why are you only going from a 500 to a 600?'
    Well when you are going from 50hp to approx 108hp then there is a set of numbers that matters.

Remember an upgrade is for you and you only. It is based on your personal preferences not someone else's ego.
    If someone else believes you MUST get a certain bike...ask them to pay for it.
    Then do what you want anyway. After all you are the one that is paying for it and will be riding it.

14. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

Huh? What are scooter riders doing out there causing damage?

15. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

[MASSIVE GENERALISATION] from my experience, they tend to be less considerate in how they park and scratch mirrors/fairings when they think the space between two bikes is enough for them..
    Some scooter riders aren't aware/don't want to be a part of the biker fraternity and don't use etiquette and only bought their scoots to nip from Bondi to Surry Hill quicker than their Yaris can do[/MASSIVE GENERALISATION]

However, I've also had twats on all shapes and size of bike park like f-wits. It's not just scooters, we (bikers) just like to pretend we're superior (because we really are ;D)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

I say this, because twice now scooters have put scratches in the fairing of the GS500F. On both occasions, the rider has left a note, and on both occasions I ignored it as I dont really care (hence the reason I ride the GS, not the trumpy).

Now dont get all upset, cause I have spent a significant time riding scooters (maybe 8 out of the 10 or so years I have been commuting on 2 wheels).

17. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

My GS500 was a great bike for commuting, had good range, and could even carrying a pillion with some comfort. in the twisties it wallowed around a bit, and the brakes are not A1. but these flaws only noticeable if you are pushing the bike.

i upgraded to a Suzuki SV650S (the unrestrictef model) and really love this bike! it's not as powerful top end as an R6, but the v-twin engine makes it a really peppy bike throughout the rev range. you can ride it upright or in a sports posture. it's like the GS500 but better (in my opinion) in every way. so definetely a bike i would recommend checking out.

18. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

I Had my GS500 for about 8 months before i traded it in on a Boulevard M50. The black and white version before they all started looking like the M109R.

I loved the little GS. It was well balanced, economical, which is a plus as i was travelling an hour to and from work, and pain was minimal. Only issue was the lack of EFI on cold mornings.

But i'd always wanted a cruiser, and more power. I also had plans to go travelling so i needed space for gear. The M50 seemed to fit the bill as it was well balanced, handled well and looked good; and with a mod, was almost as economical as the GS500. With a seat mod it was as comfortable as a GS500. But I couldn't ride it all day like i can with the M90.

I still occasionally get a GS500 as a loaner bike when the current bike is in for service. The lack of power takes some getting used to, but they are a great little bike.

Now i have an M90 and i don't think i need to go any bigger.

19. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

interesting thread. I am also looking to upgrade from my GS500f and its really hard to find something that ticks the boxes. Its a great all rounder and finding an equivalent unrestricted bike that ticks the same boxes is really difficult.

20. Re: GS500/F Riders - what did you get for your next bike and why?

Bandit, just a massive GS.