Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from General} Easy to fabricate parts that are needed?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by thinggy42, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Hey guys

I was looking at the prices of parts that are seemingly easy to fabricate like tail tidy kits and frame sliders. The prices seem insane! some tail tidys are just laser cut aluminum that's been bent in a few places and its selling for $70 - $80.

I am quite familiar with manufacturing in India so I have been planning to take some samples of parts and just inquiring about fabrication costs on my next trip.

Sofar I am thinking smaller parts like tail tidy kits and maybe frame sliders. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what other parts might be worth pursuing?

Thanks heaps!
  2. yes I have a suggestion, don't infringe on copyrite
  3. Buy AUSTRALIAN and i can make them:)
  4. I have no intention of infringing on anyone copyright. Im not making copies of OEM parts or copying anyone else s parts. If I was to fabricate tail tidy brackets and frame sliders based on my own drawings I would be in the clear.

Source: I have a law degree

I have contacted a few fabrication places here. I would prefer to deal locally but the prices have been uncompetitive as have the minimum quantities.
  5. How many is minimum,10 or 15 dollars each and you could still sell them for double the price.100 percent profit,and AUSSIE MADE.Quantities prototype first minimum volume 100
  6. '

Bike manufacturers would only be taking out copyrite on the higher tech items on their product. Certain parts within their ABS system, for example.

The vast majority of parts on a bike wouldn't be subject to copywrite.

You could copy a whole engine for most manufacturers and you wouldn't infringe copyrite. Even Honda's v-tech is probably out of copyright by now.

Then there is the matter of jurisdiction. Copyright is usually not international, but country based.

That doesn't mean they can't sue you, but it would be hard for them to win.
  7. Ill ask around here for more prices. If theres anyone you can recommend Id appreciate it!
  8. Helmet Mohawks
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sorry about that mate
    Ill take better care next time

10. Disagree! Mohawks are simply a fashion statement and like all fads their time will soon pass. Something practical though, like a helmet wind vane would be timeless, and the demand is unlikely to drop off.
  11. No part on a bike would be subject to copyright (except decals, maybe). Blueprints for them would be, but the actual parts would not. Some elements of the design may be patented (such as unique mechanical or electronic features), but there is nothing about, say, a wheel that is unique enough to support a patent.

So as long as there is nothing demonstrably ingenious about the part, there is little likelihood that one would be liable for anything if one were to duplicate it.

Personal use or manufacture for only friends or a small group would be unlikely to attract much attention, in any case (and if they do care, they'd probably leave it at a cease and desist as long as you stop when they ask). Remember that it would be a civil matter, not criminal (if they did anything at all, they'd be suing, not calling the cops).

Now, I am absolutely not an expert on -or particularly knowledgeable about- intellectual property laws, so there may be something more obscure involved*, but it's definitely not copyright, and patents are the only relevant things I know of.

This stuff is Serious Business™ ;).

*Like that archaic thing (currently used by about... one other company) Draggin Jeans used to cause trouble for their competition. Can't remember much about it, but I think it was about how the product is presented/advertised or somesuch.
  12. Yes you are correct. I didn't register (pun intended) the word fully when I answered, but copyright applies written/printed production.

Patent refers to physical items.

Just to confuse things, Intellectual Property is the other thing to be concerned about. If something is unique, but not patented, then it may be possible to sue you for breach of IP, but it's highly unlikely.