Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from General} Change in fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by davidp1984, Apr 11, 2013.

1. I've been commuting for the past 4 years getting about 230-250 km from a full tank.

That's travelling 36km round trip daily through semi rural area with little traffic and only 2 traffic lights. I know, poor me.

Now, I work 2.6km away from home (I know, poor me again. Pretty good to only fill up once a month) going through heavy traffic with a lot more filtering. I've been getting about 190-200 km to a full tank.

The only thing I can think of is that with the filtering I am keeping it in 1st gear and riding the clutch a fair bit more (when needed through tight filtering spots) which I guess will use more fuel.

I guess it's an extra urban fuel consumption v urban fuel consumption thing.

I'm just not totally convinced that I would lose 50km a tank from it.

Does that make sense? Is that the norm? Have others noticed anything similar in similar circumstances?
  2. If you are spending that much more time in lower gears, it sounds plausible.
  3. You're kidding right?
  4. What, me or him?
    The gear you use makes a big difference.
  5. No him, sorry your post popped up in the middle. Yes it's normal and I'm surprised it's not more.
    It's not uncommon to see two fuel consumptions when buying a vehicle for urban and freeway driving and if I recall correctly it's about a 25% difference. A lot less for hybrids which conserve momentum in batteries.
  6. Yeah, fair call, I just didn't expect it to be so much of a difference.

And, the extra urban v urban v highway will be more to do with stop start city traffic v suburbia traffic v highway, but since I am on a bike filtering and not stopping/starting I expected only a little difference.
  7. Well you are half right. It would be worse if you were crawling in the traffic.
  8. Not only the stop-start low gear work. With such a short commute your bike will never warm up properly and will be spending a much greater percentage of its running time running rich (if efi) or on choke (if carbed) so quite a lot of every tankful will be going straight out of the exhaust.