Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

{Moved from General} CB125E - good news or bad?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by mendosi, Mar 14, 2012.

1. So I've seen some discussion around here, among different threads, about the merits (or not) of the new Honda CB125E. I haven't tried one myself so I can't speak about whether it's actually a good bike or not, and I guess we'll need to wait a little while to see if they all start breaking down or something in a few months time...

Anyway what I want to ask Netriders is whether people think that the arrival of the CB125E is good or bad news for the industry as a whole. I don't want to talk about whether it's a good bike, as such, but what impact a $2000 road bike from a major manufacturer will have.

For instance is it:
    Good, because this will encourage more people into motorcycling who will in a few years' time be buying larger displacement motorcycles in droves.
    or
    Bad, because Honda is engaging in anti-competive behaviour by pricing this thing so low? ($2000! - does anyone else have anything like that available apart from unknown Chinese makes?)

Is it:
    Good, because every person who is riding a motorcycle and not driving a car is one less person choking our city streets and one less person who might SMIDSY
    or
    Bad, because people might grab one of these things and jump on the road having never done any proper motorcycle training courses. (The ultimate effect of vast numbers of untrained riders on the road could be some very anti-motorcycling policies from governments.)

Personally I'm thinking this has the potential to change Australian motorcycling in a good way, as long as any new riders receive appropriate training.

Discuss.
    Enlighten me, wise ones.

2. The availability of a $2000 motorcycle doesn't mean people will be more likely to ride without sufficient training, it just means that if you want a bike and have 2 grand to spend you have the option of a new bike instead of a beat up second hand one. I got my GS500 for around that sort of money. I'd probably rather an old LAMS legal 500 to a new 125 but each to their own.

3. I for one, think the CB125e is an Awesome addition to the Line up of Bikes in Australia: I'll be "Upgrading" to one, from a 1983 CM250C, sometime over the next year...

The fact you can get a Brand New Bike, capable of Learner Speeds, for $2500 or less, Ride away can only be a good thing, imo!

Here in NSW, anyways: you have to do a Pre-Learners Course, before attaining your L's, so you get SOME basics down, I guess. THe more Riders there are, the better: and I also hope it will help with the ridiculously over-inflated Second hand market, too (or at least I can hope! What other industry/Item can you use 3/4 of it's "lifetime" and still expect to only lose 1/4 of it's Value?

4. It will be interesting to see, it is a base entry level motorcycle and if it is reliable I suspect they will be popular. Honda is offering a 2 year warranty on them so if you buy one as your first LAMS bike the warranty would cover you until an upgrade. At sub $2k I suspect they wont have a long mechanical life but their resale value after a couple of years is likely to be around the $1k mark so a fascinating space to watch.

If governments legislate for ABS in bikes then I suspect Honda won't find it worth importing here any more. It seems that the thrust of most recent legislation is to make entering motorcycling a more expensive proposition so kudos to Honda for providing an offset to this trend.

5. please explain?

6. Personally I'd start ona 250, but for those considering a scooter this would be a better option [if they do eventually want to go to a bike] light, commutable, no rocket, will be reliable for the learning phase anyway. Might take some of the vespa/scooter market....

7. I don't actually see how this bike is going to draw people towards riding motorcycling who have never done so before. The only advertisements I have seen for this bike are in bike magazines. I haven't seen one in a newspaper or on television.

So, how is the general public going to become involved in the new cheap commuter option if they have no idea about it?

8. That is a good point, Honda need to take a leaf out of their History. They basically invented mass motorcycling with their "You meet the nicest people" and Motorcycling is fun campaigns. A similar campaign would help.

viewmotorcyclehonda30. viewmotorcyclehonda1.

9. Based on the usual lifespan of the old CB100/125 singles, I'd expect about 40,000 reasonably hard ridden kms out of one given regular oil changes. More if Honda have reduced the proportion of cheese in their aluminium alloys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well, yes, that is a big concern, but I for one have told a lot of people about it just these past few days.

I don't think it's anti-competetive, just trying to consider opinions that others may have. Perhaps if I were a small manufacturer trying to crank out learner bikes at around $4000 each I would be dismayed to see a $2000 bike come on the market from a major manufacturer.

11. Is the engine basically just half of a CB250 twin. If so, I thought the CB25o engines were among Honda's most reliable. Personally, I would love one as a second bike. It would be great to ride around the city pretending you were in the movie speed (ie you explode if you drop below 60 km/hr) :twisted:

12. I hope it encourages sachs to drop the madass 125 price, i want another one but $3500 is too dear for that bike.

13. Yeah, but 125s get thrashed a lot harder than 250s, because you have to. The old Honda singles that were one of the staple budget learner bikes when I started (and were already ~10 years old at that time) tended to expire from terminal cam bearing wear at 25,000 miles or so. Bit more if you were anal about oil changes, a lot less if you weren't.

Assuming better materials and better oils, I'd now expect that as a minimum. However, if the CB125E is half a CB250, it still won't have proper oil filtration or sufficient capacity so it will still need 2000 km oil changes in order to last well, given that it will be necessary to rev it to valve bounce all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fair enough. I suppose at $2000 you can buy a new one for not much more than the cost of a major service on some bikes.

15. I should point out that, at the time 25,000 miles (40,000 kms) was considered a perfectly reasonable useful life, between major work, for a 125.

16. That was my thought too. I think it's a brilliant thing honda are introducing, I hope it drags all the other cheapy 125s down, and indeed the madass is what I'd want if they were all the same price, for a simple low-capacity run about that's a bit faster (and has a real clutch) than a ct110

I'd be dead happy using my cb400 as a lightweight city runabout, but **** me they drink fuel like it's friday night after a long week. Did a bit of touring recently, on some legs it was with a couple of guys I met on a vstrom 650 and an r1200gs, fuel consumption was in reverse order of engine capacity, which demonstrated to me it wasnt my imagination the cb uses a lot of fuel.

17. i think it cant be a bad thing for suburban work or those who dont want to be seen on a scooter.

18. this is handy to know...

19. Super low cost track bike. Almost disposable low cost, bring two incase you bin one.

20. There could be race days for them - no insurance necessary (except for humans).