Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC {Moved from Genera} Paperwork for buying bike?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by calgarychris, Feb 11, 2013.

  1. Hi,

    I'm about to buy my first bike (for my wife) and have a dumb question - I have no idea what paperwork needs to be filled out! Although I've been in Australia a couple of years, I bought our car new, so that's no help.

    I'm buying used, from a private seller - I will get the PPSR report and they're getting the roadworthy, but in terms of transfer of ownership, is a receipt and the transfer of registration (VicRoads) what's required? I can follow the instructions on that, but is there anything else that needs to be done or any suggested tips?

    Muchos gracias, hope to see you folks on the road (when I get *my* bike!)

  2. There's a transfer of ownership form from VicRoads. The buyer and seller each fill out their half. It's carbon paper so you keep a copy each. Take your copy to VicRoads along with the roadworthy certificate and pay the transfer fee. Done!
  3.  Top
  4. Do the transfer papers, but it also pays to get a hand written reciept with the vin/rego and both of your address' signed.

    I don't think you have to have it but there are some arse bandits on power trips at Vicroads who just love to ruin your day.
  5. Thanks guys, much appreciated. Justus, sorry, I did look but I missed the "law" forum bit.

    Good tip on the receipt with the vin