Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Move slightly faster than the traffic - good advice?!?!?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by guggle, Jan 12, 2011.

1. I was looking at this article http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_9508_motorcycle_riding_tips/index.html and in it, it states that

Is this really good advice?? What are the experienced riders thoughts on this?

Cheers, Michael.
  2. Sounds pretty right to me.

Certainly can't agrue with the idea of spending as little time as possible in a drivers blind spot.
  3. OK, I'm not experienced, but I'll have a crack. I think this is generally true but it depends on lots of other factors such as your ability, traffic density, road conditions, weather, etc etc
  4. Damn straight it's good advice, and fvck the law that says otherwise. You know they teach the same practice to our Leos in Oz, but they don't want us to do it, go figure eh.

Although bear with me on this, it's not a hard 'n' fast rule more of a principle. And the principle is understanding the traffic around you and using it to your advantage.

Car drivers are notoriously stupid and even if they're looking at you they can't always see you. Added to which is if they've seen you they sometimes forget you're there. Freaky but true.

So staying in one driver's vicinity for too long is fraught with danger. There will be plenty of people who will say it's not happened to them so it must be bullshit. But that's ok, it only needs to happen once to be an issue.

Advancing slowly through the traffic means a driver needs to constantly recalculate your position until you are in front of them. As drivers put very little attention into their driving, if they only need to give you some thinking process for a short amount of time before going back to being switched off, then it's a good thing for both you and them.

As you come up to them though, try to get their attention before moving on past ;)
  5. Needless to say, of course, there's not much that's more dangerous than riding in a blind spot. Better to drop back sometimes, better to speed up sometimes. I find myself concentrating on blind spot avoidance a lot in my usual commute. I'm hoping this become more automatic with time.
  6. Depends, but generally yeah. On my morning commute I've noticed people are generally pretty average on the road so I illegally overtake and filter like mad to get where I'm going. Same coming home. Can't say I'd legally recommend this, but hell, it works for me.

On the freeway I'll cruise in my car a bit faster than most at about 120km/h and just overtake when I come up against somone. On the GSX1100 its faster and basically righthand lane all the way. On my XR600R its about 115km/h and lefthand lane as thats where its comfortable cruising speed is.

Like Brmmm said, it all depends.

Cheers - boingk
  7. Everything Chef said.

There's also the fact that it actually reduces (or at least streamlines) your own cockpit workload because you are only having to manage traffic ahead for most of the time. Yes, you still need to watch your mirrors, backed up with the odd headcheck, but you will find yourself having to anticipate a following driver's actions much less frequently.
  8. Either lead the cattle or stay behind the flock but never in between as the flock can do unpredictable things.
  9. Glad I'm not the only one who regards the daily commute as a sort of motorised and (hopefully) non-fatal version of Thunderdome :twisted:.
  10. ken oath!

as a rule I also avoid blind spots as much as possible. technique depends on the traffic density and the speed and weather for me.

usually it's a case of allowing a gap to develop in front of the blind spot and giving it a quick squirt to buzz past as quick as possible. If I'm on a two-lane road in traffic I tend to sit in a lower gear at higher rpm so I've got more oomph quicker if I need it. If the traffic's a lot lighter I sit in a higher gear.
  11. Definitely not. ;)

Good article by the way. Some useful information in there.
  12. I try to avoid being behind or beside cars. Most drivers seem to have the attention span of a goldfish, so even though they may have just passed you only seconds ago doesn't mean they remember you're there and won't move into your lane without warning. Out in front with clear space all to yourself is definitely the place to be.
  13. This is great advice. I always ride a little faster than all the cagers and always sit in the safest spot possible for me. The best thing about being on the bike is the maneuverablity (however you spell it). YOU decide where the fk YOU want to be on the road. Own it.
  14. yet you occasionally will get an arsehole who will give you a ticket for trying to improve your safety.

15. Behind cars is probably safer, isn't it? Especially if you have a good buffer (3s in good weather). Then you only have to think about traffic behind you. At least, this is one of the key messages they instruct at Ls course.

Not that I ride like this, just saying.
  16. Only until you end up with another car behind you, and then you're boxed in.
    The thing I worry about is that cars in side streets may only see the car in front of you, and the car behind, and assume the gap in between is for them.
  17. Wot? :-s

Definitely wins for safest place on the road. I'll add to that, it makes reading the road and seeing objects and hazards so much easier. I never want to run over a trucks shredded tyre left on the road, or have some flicked up at me while I'm scanning ahead, all of which is very possible if you're sitting amongst the cars. Or worse still, one of the buggers spots something at the last second come out from the car ahead and they emergency swerve into you.

Front for the win everytime, or in reality, the largest visual gap you can find. Own it, use it.
  18. Yeah, its hard to be too cut and dried about this. Lots of variables to consider.
  19. great advice.
  20. Better advice.