Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Move From Scooter

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by polly007, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi All.

My name is Polly and I am new here. I am a late rider, just about 31.

I have my scooter P's which I got a few months back. I would like to graduate to riding a motorbike, a little one for a wee girl. I am thinking 250 cc just for local riding around Annandale.

My question is how I go about doing this since my P's say auto only ? Sorry guys I am confused and figure somebody must have done this before.

Btw, should this be in the scooter section ?

2. You need to upgrade your car license to a manual via QLD transport by doing a half hour drive around in a manual car with an examiner.
    In QLD it costs around $45 to do so

Perhaps someone else has more info
  3. Here.
    On your red P's you may only ride an auto. On your green P's, or open license if you get to skip the greens, you can step up to a manual.
    Assuming Annandale, NSW - set your location in your user profile for a more accurate answer... ;)
  4. Yes its Annandale NSW, didnt know there was another.

So thanks for the reply. I need to wait until I am on the green P's, which I think I skip because I will be 31 in Feb.

Since I havent been on a manual bike, do you think I could get lessons at HART or would I need to wait until I am off the P's to legally be able ton at HART.

Sorry for so many questions.

Oh one more, does it take long to learn shifting gears on a motorbike and the clutch because I havent driven a manual car in probably 7 or 8 years.

Thanks so much.

5. Sorry if I was a bit short there, no offense intended ;)
    I learnt to ride at age 5, so probably not the best person to ask - happy to say though, that learning to drive a manual car was still a big challenge at 16...
    Given you HAVE driven stick before, however long ago, I'd hazard a guess that it wouldn't take you long. Most bikes are wet-clutch arrangements anyways, so will be fairly forgiving of you.
    The same theory of finding the friction point will apply...
  6. NP, but thanks anyway & for your info.

7. iirc you don't skip green by just by age, you skip green by age + having full Car. Which isn't a given. But yer still right if you have that. :p
  8. The Aprilia mana gt is full automatic sports styled bike with abs. Check it out when you're weighing up your options
  9. Hey Polly

I was in the same position although when I stepped up from a scooter to a bike I was already on my open licence.

There was a guy based in Summer Hill that has a relationship with BikeScape near Annandale. He'll hire the bike and give you a lesson, from memory it was about $180 for a few hours. If you are comfortable on a scooter you will be able to pick up shifting in a short time. I still have his number if you are interested. I would recommend one to one training over a group if you are comfortable on the road already. If you feel you prefer a closed circuit though I'm sure one of the training centres would also be great.
  10. +1 to Bikescape too - I've hired from them myself and it was a positive experience.
  11. The Mana is a ripper but the price is steep, there are a number of other auto bikes out there but if you are going to go down this route its hard to go past the Mana.

My advice though - get comfy on gears and get yourself an Aprilia Shiver
  12. Hi Robbie,

Thanks so much. THat does sound a fabulous idea, thanks for the info. Did it take you long to do the clutch and gears. It kind of looks complicated as you are using both hands as well as both feet.

I think I could do it, it might just take lots of practice.
  13. Really a very similar position to you, had not driven a manual for several years but half a day was enough to pick it up. You still need a life time to practice and truly master though.

I actually think this is the best way to learn. A scooter lets you become comfortable on two wheels without adding too much distraction in - once you are comfortable with that you will find that the extra bit of clutch and shifting will come along v quickly. Get out there and do it, you will not regret it.
  14. Polly please add your location in your profile. It will assist you getting accurate answers.
  15. Hi Polly, I started riding when I turned 50, and I hadnt driven a manual car since I was 17. It didnt take long to get used to the idea of changing gears etc. Im 5 foot 1 inch tall and I rode around on a Yamaha Virago 250cc for 12 months before upgrading to my 1100cc. Great learner bikes, inspire lots of confidence with low seat height and lightweight.
  16. Really, I hadnt though of that. So you are saying bikes and not scoots ? I would be interested if you could tell me some because that could be an alternative if I dont get the gears.

Thanks so much to all of you for your replies. I found them very helpful.
  17. Apart from the Mana and from memory there is a Arqin V3, Honda DN-01 that has been heavy discounted, the Gilera DNA 180, another honda 750 (auto) made in the 70s or 80s - I saw one of these in Motorino in Homebush just before the new year. I've also been told there was a Guzzi auto but don't really know the details. I'm sure there are some other ones out there if you did a google search.

In any event most of them are not really worth it although the Mana is a very pretty bike. If you can find one used it may be worthwhile, I remember seeing one on bikesales in vic for around $9k - now that would be worth it. If you like the look of the Honda Dn-01 I imagine its a fine bike if not a little large - in my eyes though it is one of the ugliest bikes around, I think its been dubbed the stingray to give you an idea.

Still I would get some or at least one lesson on a manual bike, I think you will find its not as overly complex as it may seem at the moment and it opens up a whole new world of two wheeled pleasure.
  18. Thanks again Robbie. I did some searches on what you provided and the Honda doesnt appeal to me.

I think your advice about trying the manual is what I should do, good advice.
  19. I had never driven a manual before doing my bike l's and I found it pretty easy. Obviously I still need A LOT of practice but it's not hard to pick up :)