Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Mounting location for number plates

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hyo_duc, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ok i was pulled over last night (close to chapel st. Victoria) with my mate by a booze bus.. basically my bike was photographed because the fender eliminator was not road worthy..
    so i asked the Sargent on the restrictions regarding this. He stated the no. plate had to be visible from 45 degrees from all angles. I have looked up and down the ADR laws and cannot seem to find anything regarding visibility laws of the no. plate. I know there must be a light, and i know know there must be a reflector. however in regarded to the location of the no. plate i cannot find anything on the internet.
    can anyone help in regards to the design requirements on how a no. plate is restricted?

2. 45 degrees with the rider on the bike,
  3. It is a State regulation not an ADR

Road Safety Regulation 2009 Section 48 in Victoria.

48. Affixing number plate

(1) The registered operator of a vehicle must ensure each number plate issued
    by the Corporation for the vehicle is permanently affixed to the vehicle so
    that, when the vehicle is on level ground-

(a) the number plate is at all times in an upright position parallel to
    the vehicle's axles; and

(b) the number plate is at all times not more than 1ยท3 metres above
    ground level; and

(c) for a motor cycle, the centre of the number plate is at all times at
    least 30 centimetres above ground level; and

(d) the number or letters, or both, on the number plate are clearly
    visible from a distance of 20 metres from the number plate at any
    point within the space produced by a horizontal arc of 90 degrees and
    a vertical arc of 45 degrees, as indicated by the shaded areas in
    figures 5 and 6; and

(e) any cover on the number plate-

(i) is clear, clean, untinted and flat over its entire surface; and

(ii) has no reflective or other characteristics that would prevent the
    successful operation of a device approved for use under a law relating
    to the detection of traffic offences; and

(f) for a motor vehicle other than a motor cycle, one number plate is
    affixed to the front of the vehicle and another to its rear; and

(g) for a motor cycle or trailer, the number plate is affixed to the rear
    of the motor cycle or trailer.

(2) The requirements in subregulations (1)(a) to (d) do not apply to a number
    plate for a vehicle if-

(a) due to the construction of the vehicle it is not practicable to comply
    with the requirements; and

(b) the number plate is affixed in a way that complies as far as
    practicable with the requirements.

(3) If a vehicle is fitted with a bicycle carrier, the number plate required
    under subregulation (1)(f) to be fitted to the rear of the vehicle may instead
    be securely affixed to the bicycle carrier.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. wow sweet cheers guys much help
    ill get my no. plated sorted asap :]
  5. great post cvjfr.

I had a look through Road Safety Regulation 2009 Section 48 and could not find the rules on fender eliminators. I have a modification idea to cover my fender eliminator and would like to see if it is legal to the letter of the law.

Any help?
  6. Let us know how u go champ
  7. There are no rules specifically for fender eliminators, a fender eliminator itself makes the bike it is on illegal when it no longer complies with Section 48 Generally this is because it no longer meets section 48c as the fender eliminator moves the amount of wheel covered from > 45 degrees of the standard fender to something less than 45 degrees.

The same fender elimnator can be legal and illegal on identical bikes if the preload of the rear shock is changed so the bike sits lower to make the fender (eliminator) cover the required 45 degrees. Its not the fender that is illegal but the angle which it fails to protect.
  8. So the rear wheel must be 45 Degree covered by the rear fender to be legal?

Is that correct?

I remember reading once that the fender must cover a point on the wheel that is a 45 degree mark from the axle, thats why you see bikes like this.

9. The wheel must be covered all the way to a point extending from the axle to 45deg from horizontal, to the rear of the bike. It has to cover all of the wheel up to that point, not just at that point.

It doesn't have to be a single piece. The tail-section of the bike in your photo might complete that theoretical arc, but it can't be seen in that photo.

10. From the Diavels I've seen, I'm pretty sure it's not covered all the way through the arc.

Here: http://motoaus.com/images/stories/ducati/2011/diavel/ducati-diavel-carbon-r.jpg

Or from full side on: http://www.ducati.com.au/fe-web/diavel/img/gallery/bzoom/36_Diavel_Carbon.jpg
    There's no way that even goes close to covering the full arc

I think what's been happening lately is that even the people in charge of signing off on ADR compliance have realised what a pointless rule this is and seem to be signing off anything that makes even a gesture towards meeting it.

There are plenty of other new bikes being complianced with a flimsy piece of metal about 2cm wide that doesn't remotely 'cover' the wheel'
  11. Excellent for me then..

My cunning plan is coming together... (insert evil laughter here)

Where did you get that information from please? Is it opinion or regulation?
  12. It's in the federal ADRs, CBF'ed finding the exact ref but it's in here somewhere.

In here, p10:

Plus I've had roadside discussion with a couple of police who quoted the exact legislation and explained it in detail to me. (And, I should add, left it at that :) )
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Which makes it interesting that the Diavel is allowed on the road in stock trim because it clearly doesn't meet that.

Here's a news bulletin on the MRAQ website where they had the same issue highlighted to them back in 2006. I can't find any follow-up though.
  14. thanks for that.
  15. Did this example of the Diavel get sorted out/explained? Naturally I (like everyone else) would love some change....(y)
  16. Can you post a photo of the back of your bike with the license plate blurred out so we can see what they're on about?

edit/ meh, just realised this thread is an ancient excavation