Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mounting GPS on bike

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Grofaz, Apr 16, 2008.

1. OK. I bought myself a Nokia 6110. Great phone, but charge dies quickly when using GPS.

So I figure my bikes got as battery, so problem solved eh!

Having never done anything like this, I just wanted to check here what my fellow Netrider's thought. Shall I just buy a car charger and get an auto elec to hook up a 12v socket? Or is there a more elegant way I'm missing?

Any advice appreciated :)

2. a 12v socket on a GPX is actually really easy, and I actually had a guide to it from I think ninja250.org, but I can't seem to find it :|
    I have actually thought about putting one on the left or right of the fairing, below the handle bars, but lack motivation.

Theres two ways of going about it;
    - Direct onto battery with a basic inline fuse,
    - Or on a relay circuit to take the load with the switching circuit being something only on with the ignition on.
    The easiest way is to do it directly, but I would personally cut into the headlight loom and switch it with a relay as to not draw current when turning the bike over.

I'll keep searching for that guide, but I fear it lost on the internet :(
  3. Some good info here etelmo, thanks for posting :)
  4. How are you attaching it to the bars? I looked at the krussell cases and mounts and they look pretty good but there doesn't seem to be an Oz distributor.
  5. I thought that was just for attaching the engine to the frame.
  6. Using an old tank bag I had lying around at the moment. Looking for a more permanent solution though :)