Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcyclist killed

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by vic, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Motorcyclist killed

09jan05

A 33-year-old motorcyclist died today on the Great Ocean Rd in Victoria's south west.

Police believe the motorcyclist lost control of his machine about 2.10pm near Wye River and hit a guard rail, crashing down an embankment.

Police have not yet named the man whose death took the 2005 state road toll to eight, the same as the figure this time last year

2. That's absolutely terrible, Vic. Imagine, falling down an embankment to your death into Bass Strait. What a way to go. I had a feeling that was going to happen to me on the Franky ride, that's why I slowed right down and let all the "Cain0rs" like gsxbusa overtake me until I knew the road better. This just goes to show you can never be too careful. Just remember "speed kills" because it heightens the chance of having an accident, and we should all slow down ESPECIALLY on dangerous roads like the Great Ocean Road.

Maybe we should organise a slow ride of rememberance for the poor fellow, and place some lovely flowers at the side of the road where he came off. Maybe even toss a reef over the side or somethng with a few minutes pause of silence. I'm not really sure what we're supposed to do at a time like this.

3. Gold FM news said he was thrown down the embankment into a tree!

Condolences to family & friends!

Please take care out there folks!

4. Never nice to hear about one of your own going down. Condolences to the family and his friends as well.
    Be careful out there boys and girls, take your time and enjoy the scenery, from on top of your machine.

5. I wonder which way he was heading... there has been a huge number of bikes in this area over the weekend, since the hot rod show was on in Port Fairy - heaps of bikes headed out from Warrnambool going home (Melb direction) via the GOR yesterday.

Condolences to his friends & family. :cry:

6. I also heard there was a report of a young boy dyning on a moto x bike on private property recently.

Again a tough time for all to get through.

7. One of my friends actually passed this particular accident yesterday.. he said that he could see the bike was a custom R1 and they were doing CPR on the guy as he passed by :( The group he was riding with took it very easy after that...

8. shattering news. always is hearing of another death. such a waste. :(

9. Having dropped my bike in the weekend and additionally news like this reminds me to go even easier on the corner and enjoy the scenery. RIP.

10. OK, I'm going on a bike ride now and after reading this thread I feel a bit scared. Anybody else in the same category or am I the only one as per usual?

11. The holiday period drowning Stats were higher than the road death stats for the same period in Vic, I think that there is something in that for all of us, nothing to be scared of Blackboy.

12. The five of us were taking it easy WHEN it happened. We were travelling back towards Lorne. This incident has traumatised alot of us so please be weary of the second hand information out there!

13. Sincerest sympathy to all the mates he left behind. I have a friend, Jason (Jas750), who rides down the GOR on a regular/daily basis and he had a mate go down a few months back. The trauma this caused for the rest of the group was shattering. I hope I never have to understand your pain. :(
    RIP

14. not good, everytime i ride i always notice the flowers along the road side

15. Actually, was referring to my FRIEND who took it easy after riding PAST the tragedy. It upset himself and who he was riding with greatly :(

I was in no way referring to the accident or how it happened, I would not presume to comment on that because I was not there. A very sad day :(

16. It is indeed a shutter news.
    Often I find myself overconfident on roads that I know well. This just shows that I should take care all the time.
    Condolences to the family, hopefully he wont have suffered and will now be riding on happily till the great Doomesday.
    Domenico