Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcyclist killed by lightning

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by [FLUX], Jun 23, 2006.

1. :shock:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/22/motorcycle.lightning.ap/index.html

There's a link into the original story to a video of the aftermath of the lightning strike on the road.

2. Holy Moly! :shock: thats unbelievable!!
    And Bloody Unlucky :LOL:

3. sweet god if its not the cars killing us its teh weather... Cant we all just get along...

4. that is the most insane thing I've read today!

5. You would think that the rubber tyres on the bike would act as insulators so he wouldn't of got hit. Maybe he was stopped with his feet on the ground?

6. Well that's a first to my knowlege! bloody unlucky, talk about the wrong place at the wrong time.......

7. It would be a real irony if he was riding one of the following . . .

Buell XB12R Lighting
    V-Storm
    Firestorm
    Thundercat

8. hahahahahaha or people trying to steal our bikes while we aren't looking (reference to your strife ward_4e) :LOL:

9. well strike me UN-lucky

10. :evil: Yeah we will GET ALONG well with the cricket bat and some knees... If it happens again!

11. Yeah, I'd think that would be the case. It may be that motorcycles being so small, he just rode right into where the lightning was about to strike anyway. The size of the bike not disturbing the lightning path to teh ground, nor having any metal around the rider to absorb the strike.
    Amazingly unlucky!

Regards, Andrew.

12. In the case of a motorcycle there is just not enough rubber to compensate for the votage potential generated by a lighting bolt, so effectively he might as well have had his feet on the ground. :?

You ever tried those ligthning ball generators and seen how far away you have to have your hand before the 'lightening' will not jump to you, and that is a hell of a lot less power that a real bolt.

A cage thou, you have a metal shell around you to help disperse and channel the bolt around the occupants. :)

13. Valorie and I were two hours across the Kansas into Colorado border, had just started into the foothills of the higher mountains, when we rode into a huge headwind. So much dust we could barely see the road.
    Then the sky went black in like 5 mins (this at 4pm)
    and the heavens opened up with the worst thunder/lightning/rain storm I have ever been in.
    Nothing like it in the UK or Oz, incredibly powerful.
    Lightning was hitting the road between the mountain passes we were riding thru and bouncing off of the minerals or ores below the road surface.
    Cars all around us screeched to a halt.
    We turned the bikes around and fled back into the safety of the small town we had just passed thru.
    Two Harley guys continued on, vests, t-shirts, helmetless. The pass was about two or three miles long, I don't know if they made it. An emergency police vehicle went howling up the pass after them a few minutes later.
    The road was blocked off in town by the time we pulled in. A local cop said there had been some kind of accident in the higher pass, a bike or a car hit by lightning or blown off the side of the pass or lost control in the hammering rain. He said it happens a lot in the high mountain ranges. The lightning was coming down as wide as a hundred feet across. One strike after another, attracted by the minerals or the ore in the surface of the Earth.
    I've never seen anything like it.
    Val said even in the worst Kansas winter she had never seen a lightning storm like it. It must only happen in certain places in the USA.
    That was our first day on the road, it was certainly memorable.
    We were forced to spend the night in that town in a hotel room, I actually considered riding on, just to say I'd done it...(I understand why the two Harleys guys continued you see )...but I had Valorie to think of and she swore she wasn't moving until the storm stopped or morning arrived.
    The storm lasted about two hours, the next day was warm with bright sunshine, strange weather in those high mountain ranges.

14. Very unlucky guy !!! :( :(

15. Hey,
    You could go all Buddist on this,
    looks from the outside as a bad thing,
    but look at it his way,
    the guy has gone from this place,
    and how did he go,
    riding a bike,
    and that may have been his best day on earth,
    I hope that I have a best day on earth, anyone seen donnie darko?
    what is your best day on earth,
    had the conversation today, quit my job,
    I have the best days when I know what I want.

16.  Top
  17. Not really as Marvin has already explained quite well.

They say lightning never strikes at the same place twice!! Well that is true because whatever it hits no longer exists if it suffers a direct hit :shock:

Most survivable lightning strikes we hear about are in fact near misses. I've seen lightning damage from my line of work (think large metal poles & towers) and I've never seen any equipment attached to those structures survive a direct hit.

Also lightning travels up from the ground and not the classic from the sky down we think it does and put out little feeler spikes to decide the best path to travel. There was a doco on one of the Foxtel channels a few years ago on this very subject.

In this case the Coroner will no doubt work out what happened but the most likely would be a nearby lightning strike caused the rider to crash rather than a direct hit which would be fairly obvious at the crash scene.

18. Oh, you are such a JERK!

19. but you love me anyway ;)