Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcyclist dies in Melbourne

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Red GS, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Hello everyone

A work colleague of mine died monday morning, he was just riding his R1 the short (5 min) trip home after working a night shift at Melbourne Airport.

Apparently, he clipped a pedestrian, came off his bike and hit a pole on Mickleham Road, the time of the accident was just before 5am. He was literally just a couple of hundred metres from home when he came off.

His name was Tom Milkovic, he was a damn fine aircraft engineer and he worked for Jetstar at Tullamarine. I just wanted to let everyone on here know, just in case he was a member of Netrider.

R.I.P. Tom

2. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend / colleague.

Condolences to his family and friends, rest in peace.
  3. Very Sorry to hear.
    Condolences to family, friends, and work colleagues.
    RIP Tom.
  4. Thank you for letting us know.

Its always sad news when a member of the riding community has a tragic accident like this.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.
  5. That's terrible news. Condolences to his family and friends.
  6. What makes it more sad is he was being sensible and unfortunately this happened.
    Condolences to the Milkovic family.
  7. Condolences to the family & friends.
    RIP Tom
  8. Sorry for your loss and condolences to his family and friends.

Just out of curiosity, is that Mickleham Rd in Lalor/Bundoora?

phong =P~
  9. Thanks for letting us know, I read about this accident in the paper today. Very sad at any time but more so for his family at Christmas. My understanding is that the pedestrian he clipped is unhurt and that he collided with a wooden street sign after being put off line.

My sincere condolences to the family, a tragedy.
  10. Awful news mate.
  11. Sobering.

My sympathies to his family.
  12. Not good. A lesson folks, be aware, ours is a passtime with inherent risks and you need to be alert to them always.
  13. Phongus, it was Mickleham Road in Tullamarine.

I wasn't working with Tom that night, but one of the guys that was actually past the scene of the accident. It didn't dawn on him that the downed rider was his workmate, he stopped to offer help but the pedestrian who was hit was on the phone to the emergency services and said everything was under control......so he left.

He said that the pedestrians (there were two of them) were all dressed in dark clothing and it would have been very hard for Tom to see them at that time of the early morning.

When he started work again in the afternoon, he told me what he saw that morning, even then it didnt dawn on him that it could have been Tom. But then we heard a rumour that Tom was involved in an accident and the penny suddenly dropped. Of course there was no answer on his mobile, so we phoned his land line and was told the devastating news by one of his family.

Everyone at work was too distressed to carry on so we were stood down for the rest of the shift.

If anybody out there knew Tom, I am sure they would describe him as a quiet, unasuming and very likeable young man with a great sense of humour.......because that's exactly what he was like.

He loved riding bikes so much that he would ride into work in all sorts of weather, even though he had a car too. Being a fair weather rider myself, I always found that amusing about him.

It's just so sad.
  14. Thanks...sorry got streets confused.

Was reading his Facebook account and he must've been one hell of a guy to have as a friend.

Once again condolences to his family, his friends and yourself.

phong =P~
  15. Sorry to hear about your friend, best wishes for his family and friends... not the time of year you want to be loosing friends or loved ones. Condolences
  16. Terribble news to hear

Ride On Tom and condolences to his family and friends
  17. So very sorry to hear that. My condolences to his family, colleagues and friends. Thank you for taking the time to search for more of his friends. I didn't know him but he must have been special to have friends that make this sort of gesture.

18. +1!!

Condolences to you, family, workmates and friends ... sad loss!
  19. My deep felt sympathies to you and his family, its always tragis to loose some one rider or not, its just a terrible waste of a promising life.
  20. Condolences to Tom's family & friends, always a tragedy when a human life is lost