Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycling/Scootering in Bali

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by uncosnail, Mar 10, 2010.

1. I have been in Bali for about a week and a half now, getting around using scooters, both manual and automatic. Costs about $5.00 a day to hire.

Not really sure about the road rules, but you sort of do a moving give way and a moving merge sort of thing. You can turn on red lights.

The average speed is about 40km/h. Which is why you can get away with giving way on the move.

The manual scooter has 4 gears, you have a pedal that has a pedal at the front and one at the rear but sort of joined together, you press with your toes to go up gears and your heal to go down gears. It has a gear indicator and no clutch.

If you want to go around the twisties as fast as you can, then forget it because often vehicles coming the other way will cross over as they come or there could be chickens, dogs, monkeys, people, etc in the way.

The scenery is really nice. The speed limit is 60. The traffic flows really well. Everyone filters, it is expected. You ride on the far left side of the road, so people and other vehicles can get past. Its not uncommon for other bikes to ride in your lane but coming the other way.

If the road gets too crowded, then you use the foot path, especially during a ceremony when the road gets blocked off. I actually feel more comfortable filtering on the move here then in Australia.

There is one bike for every 2 Balinese. Its not uncommon to see up to 4 people on one scooter. They are mainly 125cc. Bikes far outnumber cars. As you will see in the photos below.

I had a go at pillioning Phil, and of course it rained, I don't do things by halves. It felt a bit wobbly at the start but then I got used to it. He said never again because he got a bit nervous when I filtered past a truck, with a 6 foot ditch on the other side. Here I mainly filter on the left with one foot on the footpath, can squeeze in easier that way.

Today Phil came off, he decided to stop at the side of the road, near a bridge, and he suddenly got his hand stuck on the throttle and he went over the edge with the bike. He is ok and so is the bike. He fell about 5 feet into water. Then we got everything off the bike and pushed it through the creek and up a trail, luckily a mechanic was only 200m away, and he fixed up the bike for $5.00 :)) Took him about an hour, to bleed brakes, change oil etc. There were no other damage which is amazing.

The scooters here are Yamaha and Honda's. They have bigger tyres than your regular scooters. Phil is at home at the moment putting his ankle up, it is a bit swollen but no other injuries. My camera doesn't work anymore.

To see photos of Bali and bikes click on this link.
  2. Sounds pretty Similar to Thailand, although I saw 5(!) people on a scooter in Bangkok. FYI, don't bother hiring a scooter in Bangkok if you want to come back here alive and well.
  3. I drove all over Bali when I was there, your plates have tourist rego on them, So the locals give you room, Most of the drivers in Bali are professionals, and there pretty good at it, try the six ways at Denpassar, Hahahahahahahahaha Thats mind boggling, every one going in all directions at the same time, Toot your horn continously, its expected,
    Have a good trip, If you get hurt badly, come home for treatment, immediately,
  4. Phil is all good after yesterday's incident. I still keep laughing when I see him stopping at the side of the road, and suddenly his hand gets locked on the throttle and over he goes, but managed to get off the bike on the way down. He says its not an off as he was hardly moving. The locals thought it was hilarious as had to push this bike through the irrigation channel to get it out. Still amazed at the lack of damage, no cosmetic damage and only $5.00 to fix up mechanical stuff.
  5. Do you need an "international driver's licence" to hire a motorbike in Bali, or is that just a waste of time / scam?