Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Motorcycling books

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Roarin, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Righto fellow netriders, can anyone provide me with the name of that dude that wrote the book about riding a diesel KLR round Oz? If my memory serves me correctly, is he not the same bloke who wrote the book about working on oil rigs and so forth?

2. Okay, you can all stop panicking. Found it, or him. Changing google search to working on oil rigs turned up Paul Carter, who did write the Diesel motorbike book.
    Anyone actually read them? (the books) Any good?
  3. GET IN! as robson green( the hottie that does extreme fishing) would say!!

It's a must read, be warned, once you start you will not stop till it's finished!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I was given is that a diesel for Christmas before last, read it in one sitting. The books about the rigs are excellent and hilarious.
  5. Righto. I'm on it:)
  6. Let us know what you think when your finished :)
  7. There's a movie/doco of "Is that thing diesel" as well.
    Worth reading the book first though.
  8. Awful book, don't bother.
  9. Which one, & why? Or tongue in cheek?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. I think his first book 'Don't tell mum I work in the rigs she thinks I am a piano player in a whorehouse' is his best book.
    Easy to read raw and funny story telling.
  11. Thanks for that, I've saved the link and intend to read it. I linked to a book on here some years ago that is written around the same time, and is worth reading: Ixion's Motor Cycling Reminiscences, you might enjoy that too.
  12. "Is that thing diesel?" - For some reason I couldn't stand it. Maybe it's really good and I'm missing something. But I really, really liked his first book. Second book, not so much and that last one... Forced myself to finish it. Was painful for me.
  13. Although I finished and quite enjoyed Is That Thing Diesel and thought it had some very good bits, I found it a bit too relentlessly "blokey" for the sake of it and it seemed a bit forced. Haven't read his other books.
  14. I enjoyed both, but I preferred the Diesel one. Hilarious.
  15. on the subject, any other cool motorbike books that anyone can recommend?
  16. "Stealing Speed" by Matt Oxley - an interesting read about how the Japanese stole 2-stroke technology from East Germany (and how the actual inventor got screwed over in the process).

If you have an interest in the history of the motorcycle industry in general I'd suggest "Japan's Motorcycle Wars". It's an exceptionally well written analysis of how Japan went from a huge number of manufacturers to just four, with it being interesting to compare the similarities to what is happening in China now.

Alternatively there's also "What Ever Happened to the British Motorcycle Industry", or "Shooting Star: The Rise and Fall of the British Motorcycle Industry". The former is written by someone who was heavily involved in the industry and is the better book IMO. However it is worth reading the latter as well just to be able to see past some of their own personal biases.
  17. For those interested in the history of biking, I can thoroughly recommend The Land Beyond the Ridge, which is a personal memoir of riding from before WW1 up to ~1970. The authors account of the explosion of his acetylene lighting set and his subsequent journey home across motorcycle unfriendly Surrey once got me kicked out of my local library for laughing uncontrollably :D.

Good luck finding a copy for less than a bazillion dollars though. One day I might get around to scanning mine and posting it on the web. It should be almost out of copyright by now.
  18. Quick search on bookfinder shows an as new 1st edition for $120. I've certainly paid more than that for books before, but only if they have pictures.

Oh and in Australia copyright lasts until 50 years after the authors death, so if he was writing about the '70s it'll be a while yet before you can legally copy it.
  19. So take it to france and do it there Pat.